I Forge Iron

Converting acme nut to standard thread

Ecross

Ok guys I need to go from my devil forge regulator acme nut to a 1 1/2 inch pipe but I need to transition from thr acme nut to a standard size.  Does anyone know what I need? I've tried my local hardware and researched and im not sure what I need. Or any ideas on a different regulator I can connect to the 1/4 hose that goes to the burners?

Going to a hardware store for propane connections is like going to a boat shop for airplane parts. 

Go to the local propane supplier's showroom. Don't make me tell you to take the regulator, hose and whatever else you're trying to plumb.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Welcome aboard Ecross...If you put your location in your profile, you may be surprised how many members are close enough to help. Shoot if you were near me, I could probably find an adapter in my large selection of fittings. How about a picture of what you want to convert because the description has me befuddled, I don't know of any regulator that uses a 1 1/2 inch pipe.

Thanks guys I think I may go to either a plumbing or welding supply place. 

In terms of maybe being more specific... the regulator itself has an acme nut for screwing into the propane tank directly. The problem is I'm trying to connect it to a 500 lb home tank (the place I'm trying to set up shop has an auxiliary tank by the pole barn that isn't being used for anything). The line in from the tank has a 1 1/2 inch pipe coming in from outside.  I will get pics of the regulator in the morning. But I have attached the product image.

20201127_102256.thumb.jpg.f13bda0bbef9f5bb3e028a19cb034448.jpg

20201127_102251.jpg

592768_c7d54bc6-27ad-4adc-8129-0036aaf5e35e_993_993.jpg

Take your regulator to the propane supplier's brick and mortar store. This is what they do, the guys at the welding or plumbing supply will have to guess, maybe call the propane company. 

You want to take the regulator in with you so they can gauge the threads if what's written in the paperwork isn't accurate. The thing with the yellow handle in your pic is a 1/4 turn valve it's on or off nothing special. If it's a problem finding fittings to match it replace it with common parts.

Go to the RIGHT place to find parts and advice. You might run into code problems hooking that large a propane tank up yourself. You might have to have the propane people do it for you. If so you can replace the 1 1/2" pipe with something easier to connect to, say 3/4". The reason it's that large now is the propane was supplied to the structure in a few ounces per square inch so it needed large lines to supply enough volume of gas. A forge burner needs 3-10 POUNDS per square inch and that pressure can supply the volume through small pipe or hose. 

Talk to the propane people. Propane is too dangerous to get it wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

We have propane for the kitchen stove, we're rural so no NG out here!  Our propane service was happy to encourage me to use more propane and dealing with rural areas were a bit more laid back about it, encouraging me to do it safely rather than not at all.

What kind of regulator do you have?  House systems are generally too low a pressure for propane forges. You want a 0-15 psi or 0-30 psi regulator.

I concur with frosty's advice...

But being devils advocate here has me thinking that as many people as there are that have built a propane forge- from a propane tank... there has to be hundreds of unused tank valves laying around like shown in your picture.

Fine thread pipe fitting into the valve, out to the regulator, into your forge. This would give you an additional shut off inside in your work area as well.

Yessir, but the line from the tank is already in place. He's trying to come down from a previously installed 1-1/2" in-building pipe to a propane regulator. If I read correctly. 

The older houses in this area commonly used 1" to 1-1/2" lines for gas. Now, they're 3/4" black iron, or 3/4" flexible line. Forget the brand name right now...

The tank will already have a high pressure regulator on it, and then a low pressure at the building. Bypassing the low pressure, and putting a 0-30 regulator in could get him situated.

Am I reading right?

The other possibility would be finding a regulator with a screw in stud for the tank connector. Older ones have a 1/4" or 3/8" pipe thread if recall. He could adapt down to that.

{As far as I know the regulator on the tank is ounces not pounds/sq". There's no sane reason to pipe higher pressure into a structure than appliances use. Household gas appliances all run on the same pressure, volume differs but not pressure.} (?) I need to check when it's light out. 

Drats, it's dark out or I'd walk out and see what tank valves are on our 100gal tank. I'm getting nudged by the voices that there's more than one tank valve. I can see the tank from the bathroom window but there's a cap over the valve and it's fresh, owl bugger, slippery out. I'm too far past my bounce by date to chance it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Could be ounces, could be bars, or could be water columns for the low pressure.

I've honestly never messed with a household tank other than shutting the gas off. Even my own! I've replaced and re-ran plenty of lines from the house regulator in. We usually tested around 3 wc? pressure here for furnaces. If memory serves, its been a couple years.

Now you've got me thinking to go check mine at home.

I need to anyways- the wife wants to know what the percentage is left in it, so we can order a fill or not. (She's about 2ft too short to check it. Lol)

I remember it from hand to hand combat training... ft Knox ky. My senior drill instructor-

"There's 14.7lbs of atmospheric pressure on every square inch of the human body right now... which coincidentally- is the amount required to properly crush the human larynx." :huh:

I never challenged him on that knowledge...lol. 

Ecross- whatever your final outcome, please post an update on how it worked out? This is not the only time this situation or question has come up... and I have thought of doing something similar. I just haven't had the desire to dig 60ft of line in the ground to tap into my 500lb house tank yet. Lol... so no research for me on it yet.

Absolutley. I haven't had a chance yet to call the propane company to see if it is even possible yet. My day job has kept my busy and in a different town than where I wanna set up the new shop.  I hope to be able to call tomorrow. Will let you all know.

Update. I talked to the propane provider and their response was "high pressure isn't supposed to go into the building like that better off getting a 100# tank."

So no go... the guy did say from the tank its regulated down to 10psi then at the building its down to .5 psi so yeah. Looks like I'm getting a 100# tank.