I Forge Iron

New and my brain is frazzled!

M Hill

You know, I'm finally at the point in my life, that I realize, I wish I had started some things sooner.  Knife-making, forging, blacksmithing, damascus making, etc. always seemed like something someone else could do but not me.  For the past year or more, I've been mesmerized by how many people make knives.  A 2x4 hit me aside the head and I realized if everybody else could, I could too!  With the recent set-up of a knife grinder, I have the tools to make a knife (but not heat-treating) and will soon.  I can cut a blank out, grind to shape and install a handle, but know in my heart I would eventually want to do more - forge, pattern weld, forge weld, etc....  Unfortunately I'm 64 1/2 y.o. healthy and strong, and know I don't have decades to try new things and work through failures.  A site like this is amazing - absolutely amazing!  In just the short time I've slurked around and browsed - I quickly surmised that there are some very knowledgable, some immensely experienced, and some very talented people on this forum.  Even though I sit at a desk in Brentwood, TN, I live in Nashville and would enjoy seeing other people's shops and set-ups and ideas of where to purchase things I need.  I don't have the gumption to make knives for a living, but would like to make some for family, family, friends and myself and have collected a number of tools and materials to get started and will soon - after a couple of other projects get completed.   Any tips or wise, sage advice is appreciated.  I will be on the prowl for a gas forge - I'd go solid fuel, but have neighbors that don't like my smoke (grilling and smoking meat!).  They don't stop me and I've gotten to be friends with the Firemen who show up when the neighbors call to report my "burning" -  but I'd rather not go through the hassle.  With the forge, I'd like to forge knives and to make a few pieces of damascus, and san-mai and heat treat.  Next project to do is to set up my anvil.

Mike

Mike:  Frankly, it doesn't take that much time to develop the skill and knowledge sets to become a decent smith.  It takes a long lifetime to become a great smith but few of us aspire to that.  Also, there are any number of people here, myself included, who are older than you.  It's never too late.  If it takes you X time to become a reasonably decent smith how old will you be in X time without starting to learn a new skill like smithing?  There are lots of successful people who didn't start their successful areas of expertise until they retired.

Re forges:  You could look at a solid fuel forge burning either charcoal or coke.  I have been burning coke for years because in my previous location I didn't want to have a coal smoke problem with the neighbors.  Coke works great.  The only issue is that you have to keep some air flowing to it or it will go out.  With a coal fire you can go over to the bench and work on something and then come back to the forge and just start the air blast back up again and the fire is there for you.  You can't do that with a coke fire.  Every couple of minutes you have to give it some air.  You have to coordinate your bench and forge work more carefully or have an electric blower that you can leave running at a low level while you are away from the fire. 

Good luck and welcome aboard.  Blacksmithing has been something that has enhanced my life for over 40 years.  I'm very glad I stumbled into it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

I've know a full time smith in his 80's and a part time smith in his 90's.  I turn 64 next month and I can say that part of getting older is learning that you don't have to do things the hard way!  Start with smaller stock that's closer to the end goal (and think of getting a powerhammer/press/?)

Remember you won't start any younger!

Been thinking about either  a powerhammer or a press already.  But then again.  I tie flies - sometimes.  If I fished more, I'd lose more and I'd tie more.  I bought a bunch of material necessary to tie flies with.  As it sits now, I've calculated that each of my flies probably cost somewhere between $203.45 to $385.56 each!   I go full bore and buy a powerhammer or a press each of the knives I would make would cost $500.00++++!  LOL.   I am, however leaning toward a press.  Less noise, and since I'm in the Construction business, maybe I can get one of my steel subs to make the press body and one of the hydraulic mechanics around town to do the hydraulics without too much trouble.  

I strongly suggest you take a bladesmithing class.  I am also in the same age range, and classes have greatly accelerated my learning curve.  With the popularity of Forged in Fire there are a lot more smiths teaching knifemaking, and the classes are a lot of fun as well.  You get a chance to use equipment that is already setup and tuned, so you can see what works for you.  YouTube is no real substitute for in person instruction.

I'd hold off on a press until you have a pretty good handle on smithing, particularly a homebuilt one.  Can be one of the most dangerous tools in the shop

George, thanks for the idea about coke - did not know that it was smoke-free.  I'll look into it.  However, even with connections it ain't easy to find coal here - unless I buy in bags from Tractor Supply.  We did a project for what used to be the largest coal dealer in town, - now they do other things.  Also have a friend that owned a coal distribution company supplying coal to utilities.  With some bad guvment interference and a couple of judgements that didn't go his way, he had to declare bankruptcy a almost 20 years ago.  The Amish up north of us sell some coal I've heard, but don't know where.  So probably stuck with propane.  Have a couple of blacksmith clubs around - might have to ask them where they get their's.  

I'd say to hold off on a power hammer or press for awhile.  Develop your skill and knowledge with hand tools first and then move up.  I only occasionally use my treadle hammer and have never had a press or power hammer.  That said, if a small to medium power hammer came my way, I'd take it.  It sounds like you are going to try to run a marathon before you can walk.  Big power machines are not a replacement for basic skill and knowledge and can actually set you back because you try to get through something with power and force rather than really knowing what you want and how to get there.  It is the bigger hammer school of thought. 

Also, try farrier supply places for coal and coke.

I agree with Latticino about classes.  I am self taught and it would have been a much easier journey with instruction and guidance but when I started (1978) there were hardly any resources except real books.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

As far as bladesmithing classes go, I'm hoping someone from Middle Tennessee knows of someone, sees this and directs me to someplace.  There is one guy I know about with bladesmithing classes, but I cannot tell if he is healthy enough or has just shut down because of the virus - he hasn't answered e-mails.  Might have to swallow hard and travel a ways to get instruction.  Even thought about the Metal Museum in Memphis - but they are shut down.  Same with the Appalachian Center for Crafts in Smithville.  There is a couple of places around with blacksmithing 101 and I'm not against taking those-however - I'd rather have instructions specific to knife making.  

Not really, trying to cheat the learning process, I rather enjoy it.  One always needs another bbq fork or fire poker!  The hammer and press idea was more future.  

I teach an intro class at a local University; It's just a "set the hook" class: 1 day with a series of projects that use basic smithing skills.  Well all the late teens/early 20's male students want to make knives and I tell them: "Everything you learn to do today is directly applicable to forging knives; except that you are learning it in a way where you can't mess up the knife and have to throw it away!"

If someone came up to you and said that they can't drive and want to win races; what would you suggest they do first?  My take as I feel it's easier to learn the fewer things you have to learn at the same time. Others like to do it all at once and learn all the interactions through repeated failures.  A valid viewpoint too; you should just pick the method that works for *you*!

Welcome aboard, I agree with the prior posts, so no sense in repeating. I have found hitting hot steel into something else, even as simple as a bottle opener or s hook is very stress relieving and a good way to warm up before starting something like a knife blank. "if a knife you hope to win, forge it thick and grind it thin". 

Ahhhh - Central NM - Gotta love Santa Fe and Albuquerque.  Dad's best friend was in Las Aalmos and we'd vacation up there often.  We lived in San Antonio, TX at the time and it really thrilled us kids to drive through San Antonio, NM.  I think I still have an "authentic" Mescalero totem pole that we got at some tourist store somewhere around there.  LOL  That was all of 50+ years ago - I'm sure it's changed a little since then!

Not that I want to bypass any learning and am not trying to.  It's been awhile - decades ago, but I have taken some basic blacksmithing lessons.  The problem, I'm having now is that nothing is open for learning.  One place is open - Fiddlers Grove Blacksmithing - Great organization and do a great job of teaching - but 9 - 12 months is their program and does not really touch on knife-making.  It's not that I've played golf and watched TV all my life and then all of a sudden I want to do a knife.  I've made a lot of things in my life - very familiar with tools and materials.  I've made knives - in that I've bought a premade blade and put on a handle, and polished and sharpened.  Nothing particularly hard about that.  Bought an inexpensive 2x72 grinder to be able to cut out and shape blades using it.  Just got it set up and just about to use it for that.  However, what I want to eventually do - and I said eventually - want to be able to do is to forge some blades as well as make some - and I'll use the generic term - damascus as well.  I'm NOT going to go out buy me some 440 stainless and forge some damascus, or try to do a Vanax blade or cryo treating first time out.  I know my limitations as Clint would say!  

The problem is the want to learn - without opportunities.  As always, my timing is impeccable!   

Guess, what I am hoping for is someone near who could advise me, teach me, etc.... or could point me in the right direction.  I have exhausted looking on the internet.  And before I can hit hot iron, I need a forge.  I live in a residential neighborhood within the city limits.  I've already expressed problems with The Smoke Nazi over smoking and grilling - and not sure if I could get away with hammering on an anvil.  So not even sure I can do much of anything else but cutting, grinding, polishing, and sharpening.  

San Antonio NM is about 15 miles south of my place.  It was fun when Drury Inns put up a billboard on I-25 saying that San Antonio had 6 Drury Inns---when the population of San Antonio 15 miles down the road was around 11...There's been mistakes with Las Vegas NM too.

You can learn it on your own; back around 1981 when I fired my first forge up; there wasn't a lot of info out there; much less all the books and videos and forums available today---one reason I teach at barely break even cost or even free is so folks won't have that long  row to hoe that I did.

I'd suggest getting a couple of good books and go out and try stuff you read and take notes so you needn't make the same mistake more than a couple of times.

I'm 48, and I've found so far- that there are many things in my... learned experiences that translate well to blacksmithing skills. Being in the construction business- I'd wager you have a pretty decent head start. 

If you've ground blades, and handled, fit and finish... then you've already conquered the frustrating part of bladesmithing to me. You can forge, and heat treat the most amazing blade- but right off the anvil, its probably not gonna cut butter.:D

Research it here... build it.... screw it up, and learn from the process... then rebuild and do it better thereafter.

Better late than never sir! Get to it! Lol...