I Forge Iron

Canedy forge blower - pics and questions!

Peter R

I picked up this hand crank blower from a guy in northern Virginia who acquired it but never got around to using it.  Crank turns, air comes out.  I can barely make out "Canedy" on one side with other words obscured.

I'd like to use this one and have a few Qs!

1) I need a stand.  Any tips on making one?  No welding, so I'm hoping lumber, a miter saw, and a power drill can get me most of the way.  All the pictures I can find of this brand of blower show metal stands.

2) Looks like two oil reservoirs. What kind of oil should I use and how much?

3) using it seems pretty straightforward, but if there are any "read this first" on hand crank blowers, I'm all ears.

4) Can I assume this is a good find as long as it produces air when the handle is turned?

Hope you enjoy the pics.

20201020_104431.jpg

20201020_104451.jpg

20201020_104505.jpg

20201020_104511.jpg

20201020_104601.jpg

From what we can see, it looks to be in good condition. The problem is, we can't see the important parts, being the fan blades and internal gears. We don't need to see them to gauge if there is a major issue though. Does it turn freely? Is there any excessive grinding noises when turning? It will be "noisy", but there shouldn't be any grinding, rattling, clunking type sounds.

As for the oiling, that little brass fitting shown in the next to last photo is the oiler port. Should be a spring loaded cap. Pull it up, squirt a little motor oil in it before use and you should be good to go. These don't take a lot of oil, and it splashes around inside to lube everything. If you put too much oil in it, it will just leak out, so you can't really put too much in.

For mounting, look at your last photo, That 3 inch diameter (or so) projection with the hole through it is where you would mount it. Take a 2X4, drill a hole through the side and put a bolt in and tighten it down. Good to go. The oiler port should be positioned roughly top dead center when mounted. (The oil drops down onto the main gears when the handle is rotated.

Hope this helps.

First flush out the gear box to remove old oil/crud!!!  Some folks use kerosene; some use diesel, I used plain ATF and let soak for a month as I wasn't in a hurry.

Then fill with oil to the petcock when the blower is mounted in the correct position.  (You open the petcock and fill from the top oiler until it starts to run out. Then run the petcock back in.  This blower is one of the few types designed to be used with a pool or oil in it! 

Oil the handle bearing a few drops every time you use it.  Do not use too heavy an oil or it will fight you when you crank it!  (Why I like ATF, also it doesn't react to cold as much as some oils.)

Wooden stand is fine as long as it's stable.  I'd run a bolt through the round boss and the stand, adjust to the correct position and run 2 more bolts in the Us where the boss hits the blower casting to hold it in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a ton everyone for the responses! I got around to making a stand for it.  I'm no carpenter or engineer, but it works despite looking a little odd.  Pics another day as it's dark out now.

One dumb question I did have, I'll probably use one of the oil suggestions above, but..  is there a "least messy" way of adding oil to the blower? Trying to pour from the bottle into the tiny knob seems like the wrong way and asking for a mess.

Thanks again, I hope to get a few pics of the setup soon.