I Forge Iron

Regulator

Johnnyb65

Do I have to use a regulator?

I have my propane tank hooked up to my burner and it seems to be working fine. I am reaching welding Temps.

I do not understand what the regulator does. I have read hundreds of treads on making my forge and I see 0 to 20 for 1 burner and 0 to 30 for double burner. But I see nothing that tells me why I even need a regulator.

I feel my ignorance could get me in trouble or hurt so I am asking this stupid question what does a regulator do and why do I need 1. 

A regulator controls or regulates the pressure coming out of the tank and being sent down the supply lines to the forge. Your tank has a certain pressure in it. As there is less and less propane inside the tank, the pressure goes down and so does the the supplied pressure to the forge. The regulator just keeps everything on the supply side constant at whatever pressure you set it to, regardless of your tank pressure.

I don't have a gas forge, but my understanding is you don't absolutely need one, strictly speaking. However, they can be useful so you can determine what pressures give you what temperatures and so on. Considering they aren't particularly expensive, I don't see why one wouldn't want to use one, but that's just me. I'm sure those with gas forges can provide more input than I.

By the way, if you put your general location in your profile, you may be surprised how many fellow smiths live in your area.

One of the great advantages of a gas forge is the ability to "set it and forget it" -- that is, adjust the heat to precisely what you want, and leave it there without having to fuss with it and risk either burning or underheating the metal. However, as Frazer notes, that's really hard to do when the pressure coming out of your tank is varying depending on fuel remaining, temperature of the room, etc, etc. Buy yourself an inexpensive regulator; what it costs in money will be more than paid back in absence of aggravation. 

9 minutes ago, Frazer said:

The regulator just keeps everything on the supply side constant

Just a note on terminology: at the regulator, the "supply side" is the side towards the tank, and the "demand side" is the side towards the burner. At the burner, the supply side is the hose coming in, and the demand side is the inside of the forge. These are relative terms, not absolute.

Welcome aboard Johnny, glad to have you. As said already putting your general location in the header gives you the opportunity to meet up with blacksmiths in your general area. Every hour spent with an experienced smith is worth many times the hours figuring it out yourself. I've been there, done that, don't recommend it.

Not bad Frazer, well said. 

The regulator controls pressure until the tank pressure falls below the reg's set level and it's time to get it filled or exchanged. A 0-20psi regulator works just fine for more than one burners, my 35 year old 0-20 runs four, 3/4" T burners on my too large shop forge. It's getting hard to find 0-20s anymore seems 0-30 is replacing them in the common supply.

A needle valve controls volume at whatever pressure. This gives you a nice fine control of your burner flame. A person could run a progressive temperature in the forge is they wished. I don't know why you would but it's possible. Be aware, volume IS dependent on pressure so when you change the reg setting you'll need to adjust the needle. Adjusting the needle valve on the other hand has zero effect on pressure.

This was hardly a stupid question Jonny, lots of folk don't know the answer. The short answer is, No you don't NEED a regulator, a needle valve will work along. Just not nearly as well as the combination. 

Frosty The Lucky.

22 hours ago, Johnnyb65 said:

I have my propane tank hooked up to my burner

Pictures of your setup (forge, burner, valves and tank) will help with answering the question. Also other questions require knowing where in the world you are located, hence the suggestion to put your location in your profile.

I've run my home built for a few months without a regulator but like JHCC said

On 10/19/2020 at 7:19 AM, JHCC said:

One of the great advantages of a gas forge is the ability to "set it and forget it" -- that is, adjust the heat to precisely what you want, and leave it there without having to fuss with it

I would be opening my needle valves more every 5-10 min to keep a steady flame so I went to amazon spent 30 $ on a 0-30 regulator it doesn't half to be fancy al it needs to do is give you a steady pressure to work with

Marlyn

born to smith forced to school