I Forge Iron

Matchlock

789498570_P10305582.thumb.jpeg.f57e01ce2961c28ea79da84f83143c2a.jpeg

1697311344_P10305622.thumb.jpeg.c6820cf30beb606a46f0594060d4fc6d.jpeg

P1030564.thumb.jpeg.a3ee433ad51454dfb32dc987046f3c4e.jpeg

Something I have been working on for a while.  A mate forged the lock many years ago, and sent it to me recently. I have forged the pan out of a railway spike, drilled with my blacksmiths post drill, forged the pan cover, triggers, but plate. Still to forge the trigger guard,  and ram rod pipe.  Have to drill the ram rod hole in the fore end, finish shaping the stock, make a fore end cap. The barrel is smoothbore .50  made from carbon steel hollow bar,  a mate turned it for me as I have no lathe. Stock I cut from an old jarrah plank I had lying around with the bandsaw. Lock inletting is not the greatest as I need more practice !

P1030585.thumb.jpeg.b17223336b6df01936b6b67412d5f1aa.jpeg

P1030584.thumb.jpeg.7fcbfd919026532ed5f69b6ff64c459d.jpeg

Gentlemen,

I have been messing about, finally got the ram rod hole drilled to the correct depth, and it takes its ramrod nicely. Today Iit up the forge and made a trigger guard, then converted a cup head bolt to a screw slot, drilled and tapped and fitted the tang bolt and also fitted the trigger guard.  Nice and solid, reshaped the trigger, made it wider.  I am thinking period tudor electricians tape to keep barrel in the trough.  I have made up a couple of under barrel lugs,  I will silver solder those on next and then inlet and drill and fit the pins.  The for end cap, I will find some tin for that I think.  The piece hold nicely and seems well balanced, quite comfortable in fact. 

Cheers 

Made from scratch the under barrel lugs, barrel is now pinned to the for end,  but plate is now screwed on,  ram rod thimble fitted . I made and fitted the flash shield today, so now just have to put the finish on the stock and proof her.  Photos to follow. 

To the moderator, is this font size ok please? 

Cheers 

Gordon

Thomas, one of the blokes at the Muzzle Loading Club I belong to makes it,  so may get a piece from him to start with.  I have been told Spotlight have nice braided cotton cord, so I will also make some myself.  I don't intend using this piece much,  it was mostly for the experience that I made it, plus I have not to this time got a match lock. I have mostly flint and percussion rifles, and smoothbores.  The match making looks like an interesting exercise, I have plenty of wood ash and saltpetre

• 3 months later...

Wasn't there a movie about the arque of the bussier?    (sorry, Friday!)   IIRC It was Gustavus Adolphus took away the wheel locks from his cavalry which used to ride up, caracole to discharge them and then ride back to reload.  He had them charge home with lance and blade instead. (Old War College book I read several decades ago on the innovations of GA in warfare...)

• 2 weeks later...