I Forge Iron

Manageable Fix for a newb? Beautiful door straps

7 hours ago, LemonAden said:

Just need to plan carefully so that we can do it right.

You could move to the Mat Su valley where right is how it's done. No, I don't mean everybody expands houses "right," just that however they do it is their right.

Deb and I often comment on how far a fairly nice looking multi story house from the mobile home buried in it's heart. Mobile homes seem to be fertilized by a mudroom front porch and they gestate into . . . Problems for the folk who buy the property to develop. 

We have a fresh one going about 1/4 mile up the road from us. The mobile home was there when we bought the property in 98 and the new owners cleaned up the lot and started an addition this spring. It's going to be a good one, the first expansion is about 2 1/2 X as large as the mobile home. It has a custom section of wall missing that fits the mobile home like a glove. 

Maybe Deb and I should start logging the progress, it's close if not unique.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

I just logged back on for the first time since last year. I put in another post that I relocated my home and farm to Vermont.  Found a property I couldn't say no to. We finished the door and I was so glad to be able to make a major and final change before passing the home on to the new owners. The strap modification worked beautifully and I used pine tar for blackening (my favorite out of everything I tried, even after deciding on the used motor oil I went back and did pine tar).   With the door handle I posted last year, I ended up deciding to keep it and take it to Vermont with me because I loved it so much.  I haven't used it up here yet, but the one I ended up putting on the new door worked great also. 

Here are the photos of the door and hardware before and after.  (I modified the straps and curled them in on themselves to fit the door by taping them together while forging to keep uniformity).  I made the hook holding the leather bell collar on the inside of the door, and also some of the door bolt hardware.  I used lag bolts to hold the straps on to the door, but I put them in the forge to hammer and blacked the exposed head so that it looked old, hammered and matched the door straps.  

IMG_20201211_090805_304.thumb.jpg.93fe1e596f84d7d5b5d6dcd866006a1c.jpg

20201211_081706.thumb.jpg.adc13fecc3ee28e88b17fb0ba0b38077.jpg

IMG_20201212_070127_443.thumb.jpg.d0ac23562f3a67b50a396f99c2daf134.jpg

Nice job on the door and hardware all round. What kind of wood is it?

Used motor oil is still a BAD idea. You can burn safer oils and get the black oil finish.

I'm looking forward to seeing your set up and what you produce with it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys!  I likely won't have my set up done by your visit in July JHCC, but if you are in my area maybe you can give me some advice when you are up my way.  I have an idea of which building I want to use but don't really know yet the best way to set it up.