I Forge Iron

Hello from London England!

Max pywell

Hi Iv been playing around in my back yard for a few years on and off now but it's hard with a full time job and 3 kiddies. Recently had a talk with my partner and she understands a bit more and I'm not just hitting things with a hammer hahaha. Always thinking about the next project, and love talking about it but I don't personly know anyone around here that does this extraordinary hobby

Have you tracked down BABA yet? British Artist Blacksmiths Association, www.baba.org.uk  they might be a way to find others local to you.

We have a number of folks participating here from the UK and more are always welcome!

(BTW have you toured James Watt's workshop at the London Science Museum?  Very disheartening---I've got more stuff than that and I'm just piddling around where he changed the WORLD!) 

I was nearby; my wife wanting to see the Spider Silk Cape at the V&A, (I'm married to a Spinster.)  Nice collection of wrought iron work at the V&A.....

Luckily my wife was aware of my iron pounding proclivities from the start---she encouraged me to buy a 165# Peter Wright anvil at a yard sale in Arkansas over 36 years ago when were were engaged and pretty near broke.  Of course you can tell by the fact we were in London looking at spider silk that I continue to return the encouragement!

We both have crafts that we are passionate about and so doing things like trading off kid duties so one spouse or the other could go to a craft meeting, or research stuff. We each have dedicated space for our crafts and we have an allowance and can't go over it WITHOUT consulting the other spouse. So no surprises in the budget!

I'll probably be retiring soon; we'll see how that goes over!

Yes, I was smithing already when I met my wife.  I first fired a forge in 1980 or 1981---I use 1981 so as to not be "assuming".  So around 39 years now.  When I met my future wife I was working as an apprentice to a professional sword maker.  His wife thought that we would make a good couple and so did a bit of matchmaking.  We're all still friends anyway!