I Forge Iron

Blowtorch capable of heating rivets?

Biggest mistake folks new to the craft make is heating the tire too hot and having it char the wood.  Definitely a black heat, a pine sliver should slide easily on the hot metal---which is more like 500 to 600 degF IIRC.

I'm going to stay out of the "not uniform heating" discussion as there are too many variables in it for me to worry about.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

makes sense. I had not considered all edges and centerline expanding equally.

By the way, your hole/whole explanation is priceless!

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

"not uniform heating"

Lol, 2-1\2 years of aerospace engineering just before the Wright bro's flew, creeps out of the long dark.  

The astute reader may now be wondering, "What about a hole in the center of a large plate?" 

If you heat the plate evenly, then the hole expands in proportion to the plate. Circumference = pi * diameter = pi * radius * 2.  The length of the side of a square around said circle = radius * 2. They expand and contract in proportion, provided there is no external constraint such as uneven heating. 

15996649131098645754178173971230.thumb.jpg.d39ea13b48df57777ff96ca5c700ea8b.jpg

I leave any attempt at determining specific conditions suitable for shrinking a hole with the addition of localized heat as an exercise for the motivated reader. 

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Simply put, there is far more length dimension than width or thickness dimension for the wagon tire. The thickness and width also expand, but nowhere close to as much as the length. 

That is the simplest and most accurate description I have run across.