I Forge Iron

First new anvil ?

Jon108

Hi everyone,

I am looking at a new Peddinghaus #5 anvil. 
I am a beginner at forging, and have about 6 years at stick welding. 
I have a few chunks of H13 and several pieces of Rail track. 
I also have 3 post leg vices, and have done hex head stainless 304 on the anvil jaw  

I am now looking for an anvil that will make it easier to do forging  

The size and weight of the #5 suits my needs for portability  

Any advice would be very much appreciated  

Thanks,

Jon

Dear Jon,

First, please put your location in profile and read "read this first" in the upper banner.  It will give you a better idea of what to expect from I forge Iron and will enable the rest of us to give you better advice and comments.

Second, my personal opinion is that a 77 pound anvil is on the light side for general work but if you are only doing smaller work it may be OK, particularly if it is securely attached to a heavy base.  the general rule of thumb is that about 100 pounds is the minimum size for general smithing work.  For the cost of a new Peddinghaus (and fine anvils they are) plus shipping you may be able to find a larger used anvil locally.  But, it is your call and judgement of what you need and how much you can afford.

Portability is subjective and depends if you are having to move the anvil a few tens of feet from your garage to a patio for use or having to horse it around into your vehicle.  For short distances a dolly is very handy and can make a larger anvil feasible.  If you are having to pick it up in your arms that is another story.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard JON...Let us know what you are interested in making. Like George N.M. said a 77 pound anvil is a little light for general forge work. A Rigid-Peddinghaus anvil is indeed a very good anvil and I have worked on several over the years. It is too bad they don't offer one around 100-125 pounds, which make a better shop anvil. You might want to check out several U.S. makers who have started making anvils, several are IFI members. foundryguy with Holland anvils come to mind.

Of course not knowing where in the world you are located, my suggestion may be worthless.

I am sorry to use the full quote, for I replied just before reading the “read this first “

My problem is room for a larger anvil, as well as the need to move it 15-20 feet. 
I am interested in making small items like nails and square head bolts as well as 4-6” knives. 
I want to buy a new anvil, for fear of making a mistake with the purchase of a used anvil. 

Thanks,

Jon

If you do decide to go with a used anvil, there is nothing wrong with that. In my 30+ years of forging, I have never bought a new anvil and all 5 of the used ones are doing just fine and will probably serve the next generation of Smiths. Just post here with pictures and we can help you get a good one. This thread may help with the decision.

Well, a ~125lb anvil doesn't take up appreciably more space than the 77lb. anvil, and I agree with the others that you will want as big as an anvil as possible that still meets your portability requirements. I also agree with them about buying a bigger used anvil for the money, but that depends on your local market and whether you can confidently pick out a worn but workable anvil from a lemon. TPAAAT or a local market platform could lead to a great anvil at a reasonable price tomorrow... or several months from now. Buy new, and you can be confident in the quality and have the anvil in days.  As Glenn pointed out, there are also other makers of quality new anvils with other size and configuration options; you are not "stuck" choosing between the 77lb model 5 and 165lb model 7 if neither actually met your exact intent. I obviously still defer to your judgment as to what is an appropriate size for you to move.  

That said, I think the Model 5 is sufficient for the items that you are describing.  We often send people bemoaning their lack of (usually London style) anvil to watch videos of third world blacksmiths forging blades and other tools on sledgehammer heads or assorted scrap as motivation and inspiration to just get started. World-class swords have been forged on what are basically just blocks with a spike on the bottom. You have been making do, and will see an improvement with a purpose made anvil, either new or used. You have done at least some research on the topic, and I say if you are happy with your selection, then buy it and use it well! Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 

15 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Just post here with pictures and we can help you get a good one. This thread may help with the decision.

Thank You for the guide to buying a used anvil. 

Thanks and what does TPAAAT meaning ?

I apologize for my ignorance? 
Is there an easy way to find my post and replies ?

TPAAAT- Thomas Powers applied anvil acquisition technique. Basically ask every single person you come in contact with everywhere you go. 

If you check the box at the bottom of post that says "Notify me of replies" you will get an e-mail notification when ever someone replies to a thread. You can also go to your profile page and there is a box that is marked "activity". This shows all the recent posts you have made. Click on the box that says "show my activity" will bring up all the posts you have made. 

No reason to apologize. Ignorance is curable.