I Forge Iron

New, just getting started

Jealdi

Hey everyone, new guy here. Looking to get started soon and just wanted to say Hi! Located in central Illinois. Always been interested, finally starting to work on collecting some equipment to get started and super excited to be here! 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:08 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Welcome; what sorts of things are you interested in making?  What's your set up look like?  Have you gotten in touch with your local ABANA Affiliate?  Learning in person usually trumps leaning over the net!

I'll have to look into ABANA. My setup is currently me deciding if it's worth fighting the wife over being able to use the garage/driveway, or trying to make something work on the little patio out behind the house! I'm interesting in making anything I can learn how to make. My plan is to start with making whatever tools I'll need and going from there!

I'm a fan of repurposing propane grill carts for forges---either propane forges or JABOD type as they can generally "hide in plain site" and protect the forge from inclement weather.   Running a forge in suburbia or in a city reminds me a bit of a bagpiping society I used to know---their guiding maxim was "be inconspicuous!"   I find flea market and garage sale tools to be good for starting as you do need to know a bit more than just getting started to make decent versions yourself.  Hard to work more recalcitrant alloys when you are still learning temperature control for mild steel!

I face the same suburban (and wife...) issue as you do. I have taken to making things portable and finding ways to quiet whatever you are using for an anvil. When I forge at home, I set the forge up on the back patio and then just carry the steel three paces into the garage where I have anvil/vice/etc. I make the forge inaccessible via making a bit of a barrier of sawhorses. 

I have talked to my neighbors and they are cool with it - so that is good. I just am respectful about time of day. I also pack my stuff up when we visit my folks or my in-laws. They live in rural areas so much easier.  

I also use charcoal - I would not be able to do coal where I am at. Propane would work, but just starting out charcoal is cheaper. If the hobby sticks I will consider a propane or NG forge. 

21 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm a fan of repurposing propane grill carts for forges---either propane forges or JABOD type 

Currently the wife has said that if I can come up with an anvil and some tools... Santa might be willing to bring me a nice Forge. Maybe even before Christmas. So I wasn't going to argue with her on that one. Especially since she is a little reluctant to try to let me build my own forge. Got a neighbor that works for a welding/gas supply company, so chatting with him about getting a propane tank for the forge once I figure out what I'm getting and what size tank I'll need.

18 hours ago, TheWanderingLlama said:

I have talked to my neighbors and they are cool with it - so that is good. I just am respectful about time of day. I also pack my stuff up when we visit my folks or my in-laws. They live in rural areas so much easier.  

I've chatted with the younger neighbors to one side of me, they are on board with the noise. I haven't noticed the older neighbors outside to have a chance to speak with them yet, but do plan to keep my hours at a reasonable time to try to limit upsetting anyone.

I've got a lead on a RR track anvil for $20 that I'm picking up tonight. I figure for that price.. I can make it work somehow.

Depending on the length of the track, you may want to build a stand to hold it vertically and also so the track can be removed and used in a horizontal position to make use of the inside and outside curves of the track. Think swage.

teenylittlemetalguy came up with a vise for the rail road track you may want to look into.