I Forge Iron

Door handles and door latch

Davor

I’ve been a member of the forum for a long time but I have moved house and changed jobs so I didn’t have time, a place or the set up to forge. Well now I do. Still working on a railroad anvil, I do have real anvil just waiting for a stump or a tripod and time. How ever the door handles are for my little shop where I do all kinds of stuff not just blacksmithing, so don’t expect to much content right away.

IMG_20200619_110710.jpg

IMG_20200619_110751.jpg

IMG_20200619_110756.jpg

IMG_20200622_131757.jpg

IMG_20200622_131808.jpg

IMG_20200622_131820.jpg

7 hours ago, Davor said:

Still working on a railroad anvil, I do have real anvil just waiting for a stump or a tripod and time. 

I really like the latch design. Is it smooth when starting? 

Just a clarification for all that will read your post in the future -- a railroad anvil IS one kind of real anvil. What you likely meant was "London pattern" or "southern German pattern" or some other regionally standardized version of commercial anvil. Don't diminish an anvil that may exceed the working area, mass, and hardness of the majority of anvils that have ever existed since iron working began. Masterful work has been done on less. 

It's smooth, but it has a bit of bite to it starting but very little. It's more because the door is putting a bit of tension to it. To clarify, it is smooth when operating without the other half.

I guess this will be a better explanation.

You could make the bale on the far door leaf a little larger. The first thing that jumped out at me was how natural and automatic it will be for people to throw the bolt and use the latch handle to open the door. 

It all looks very nice, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

When you say rail road anvil  do you mean a Bridge anvil like the Rail Roads used? Or was it a Fisher like the Blacker powerhammer anvil that came from a railroad shop that is my main shop anvil?  Or do you mean one made from a section of railroad rail?  The devil is in the details and what is clear in your mind may be murky the the anoxic morass of minds like mine!