I Forge Iron

Kanca, Emerson, NC anvils. Help.

Hi everyone, I've going to be purchasing a anvil. I've been reading up on three particular ones.

• The Kanca 110 lbs. Drop Forged Double Horn Anvil
  • Emerson 100 lb. Traditional Anvil
  • NC 112 lbs. Cavalry Anvil

I'm going to be using said anvil for knife and axe head making. I'm not sure which to go with. I'm fairly new to all of this. I've done a lot of reading and my brain has pretty much gone to mush. I just found out about iforge. So I figured why not ask people with experience. I'm really looking forward to your help, pros and cons and just all around feedback.

If you are up for more reading, use your favorite search engine like google and do a search like this without the quote marks "Kanca anvil site:iforgeiron.com" . Do that for all three you are considering and you will see many threads about them (some of the older threads will have lost pictures though) still good reading.

I'm in Texas also. Welcome aboard. I have the Emerson 100lb. Traditional. It actually weighs 105 lbs. I did a LOT of research and I read up on all the ones you mentioned. I've been using mine for nearly a year now. The only thing I don't like about it is the lettering on the side stands proud of the anvil and close to the face. If I'm working over that side, I have to be careful or I'll hit the lettering and mar my work. To fix that, I could grind them down, which I'm not inclined to do. However, it's also because I work with the horn oriented to my right. If I were to point it the left, that wouldn't be a problem at all. It also will come with mill marks that are pretty visible on the face and horn. I sanded it some, but they don't affect the smoothness of my work and it's been work hardened in the areas that I use the most so it's smoothing out on its own. The only other thing is I wish I could have afforded a heavier one. Not trying to sway you away from the other ones. Just a little review. Hope it helps and happy hunting

Chellie: That's a good, as in cogent well spoken, review.

Do you have room to walk around your anvil? I don't use the horn much but for some things I want to strike down slope, towards the point but for others I want more solid resistance and strike up slope. opening, thinning and truing a round negative space like a ring bottle opener is easier and more precise working up slope. I could turn the anvil to suit or step around. I turn the anvil at demos as I'm performing not producing, in the shop I step around unless I have a lot to do in that orientation. 

Sorry about the hijack it wasn't intended to be.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. Yes, I can and do move all around it when I need to. I use the horn for drawing out quite a bit and for turning hooks and trueing up rings. Although, I'm finding myself turning scrolls more over the far side of the face more often now

Almost a year and you've come so far, I remember you asking what to ask and now you're turning out really nice work. Time REALLY flies when you flatten the curve that way. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've narrowed my choices down to the Kanca Scott 110lb with square heel and the Kanca 110lb drop forge anvil. Picking one isn't so easy and I'm still not sure which to go with haha

Frosty, you've really given me a confidence booster. Thanks for that. I needed it :D

Valadon, now that you have narrowed your choice, I'd suggest researching prices pretty heavily also if you haven't already. Actual prices on them run about the same nearly everywhere it seems, but the shipping can vary widely. What swayed your decision? Price, weight, material? Other? The reason I'm asking is it may help someone else who's hunting around for a new anvil. My decision was based on it was the best and biggest cast steel anvil I could afford.