I Forge Iron

Flatter

The issue this has is a ball pein is relatively high carbon steel and they do NOT like being hit with hammers, they can work harden, become brittle and chip. You'll make just as good a flatter and not have a safety issue if you use mild or medium C steel instead of the ball pein.  A flatter typically requires a harder blow than a top cut or punch to do it's job and work hardens much more quickly.

Frosty The Lucky.

A flatter is a tool that gets hit with another hammer so having the top of it something that is easy to hit with another hammer and does not damage it is a good thing.

I find I don't use one very much anymore since I learned to dress my hammers and hammer flat.  Having a treadle hammer really helps using one as: One hand for the workpiece, One hand for the tooling and One hand for the hammer  seems to cause me issues when I'm working alone in my smithy.

A person might need 3 hands to make a flatter work! I don't know that I need a flatter. Just looking for a project. I really don't know if I can get into knife making, more interested in other projects, just haven't figured out what! Thanks again!

Beef,

One thing that doesn't get said too much is that big heavy top tooling will have more inertia to overcome for the hammer strike.  It's a goofy thing, but a lot of top tooling for power hammers would also work well for a solo smith swinging their own hammer.  The traditional wood handled top tools make a lot of sense if you've got a striker swinging a heavy sledge for you.  Not so much if you're working alone.

19 hours ago, beef56 said:

I don't know that I need a flatter. Just looking for a project.

A better option would be to forge the ball peen into a cross peen or a straight peen to give you another working hammer (I made one into a diagonal peen, which I find I use much less than I anticipated). You can also forge that hammer head into any number of different top tools: chisel, punch, fuller, swage, butcher, texturing tool ... the list goes on and on. Also, some folks make them into tomahawks or carving adzes. Really, the only limit is your imagination.

Very nice !

On 4/8/2020 at 7:27 AM, JHCC said:

Exactly. Just pick the direction you want the peen to run and flatten the ball down into a wedge shape that points that way. Keep the ends square, and you're good to go.

"Keep the ends square", you mean the top and bottom of the ball turned peen?