I Forge Iron

Homemade Anvil

I had bad experiences trying to weld spring steel. I tried to build twice an anvil with leaf spring face and the plate detached it self from the anvil upon some hammering. Take a look at this thread if you want some ideas for improvised anvils.

Take a good look at this thread and read with detail what people write about their improvised anvils 

As for heat treating; depends on what you want out of it and what you can manage in heat treating.  Not a trivial task to heat treat large masses of steel.  IIRC Charles McRaven used a local VFD's high pressure hose to re-harden an anvil he rebuilt and I know a smith who burned down his smithy and got severe burns as well quenching a much smaller item in oil.

Rail is 80point plus steal vs 60 point for spring, your doing a lot of work just to be going backwards. 

Know if you have a block of mild steel it might be worth the work, if you have the skills and tools to do it right. That includes preheating to 500f and spacing the plate so you can reach in to weld the plate from center out and not just around the edges.

Then comes heat treat. Which depending on the size can get real complicated. TJWatts used two IBC tanks on forklifts and a pressure washer 

My piece of rail has held up nicely. I've only hit it a couple of times since there's not a lot of room to miss but I was seriously surprised at how well it moves steel. It's one of the larger pieces of rail I've seen anyone using weighing in at about 115lbs so that helps I'm sure but I'm pretty happy with it still. Even after using a double horn anvil.  I think it's made me think outside of the box in order to get the results I want sometimes which isn't a bad thing either. 

Pnut