I Forge Iron

How much would a slightly more outlandish commission typically cost?

ParagonBlade

I'm an aspiring writer, and I have plans to write a story about fantasy swordsmanship, meaning that realism and effectiveness in a real life setting are unimportant. However, I am curious how effective the legendary sword I have in mind would be if used by a normal person, so I wanted to commission it from someone.

The concept is a sword with three configurations. It can either be a double-edged longsword, two single-edged longswords for dual wield or a double-bladed sword. You can switch between these configurations on the fly. The single longsword has a crack down the middle, so you can pull them apart into the single-edged dual wield form. From the dual wield form, you can either fuse the swords back together into single-sword mode along their entire lengths just by reuniting them, or you can fuse the pommels together to create a double-bladed sword. All transformations are reversable, and the two swords can be reunited simply by touching them together because magic.

Now to me, this type of weapon would have the same issue as whip swords. Structural integrity would be pretty flawed due to the crack that allows for the sword's main function. Any experienced sword enthusiasts know if this is the case? And do any blacksmiths know how much it would cost me to comission that, either as a wallhang or a legit sparring tool, depending on what sword enthusiasts say?

Welcome aboard Paragon, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might have someone within visiting distance that can show you some things maybe even be talked into building the thing for you. 

Two points about writing a fantasy: #1, A heroic blade can only be wielded by a heroic character. #2, Get the term CRACK out of your head and terminology, cracks are failures in the material used, whatever it is. In a sword it's a catastrophic failure.

The term you're looking for is "Seam" and it should be invisible in all modes. 

Oh okay, there is a #3. It's a fantasy, reality isn't involved you could have a friendly chipmunk transform into THE perfect magic sword as needed. You do not explain how something actually works let alone try to make it work in realspace. Beginner authors. :rolleyes:<SHEESH!>

Your concept isn't so much of a fantasy as you may think. If you follow Forged in Fire an episode I THINK last season involved forging blades that link together to form one double edged blade or can be separated to make two blades. Does someone have a link to the episode? I don't.

I don't recall if there was a 3rd. configuration to the REAL blade but what they hey, it's your story. Right?

Lastly before the gang jumps in. If you can find someone to make this blade for you what is that going to tell you? Are you an experienced swordsman, how are you going to evaluate it? You can swing anything around, as kids we pulled every survey stake planted within walking distance to play sword fight with. Our parents just laughed when we said we wouldn't have to if they just let us have, or make real swords for us. Then they'd ground us for an afternoon or make us (SHUDDER!!:o) clean our rooms!  Dad took away every swordlike object I ground out in his shop, he knew all the hiding places. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmm, a narrow butterfly sword only mounted spine to spine. Cost should be more than two separate custom swords as the maker has to make two separate swords and make them fasten together. Also the seam affects how the swords acts.  If you consider that a good fighting sword would be about a kilo or close to 2.5 pounds; having two attached either means a heavy slow clunky sword that splits into two far lighter than a good fighting sword swords.  Or an EXTREMELY OVERWEIGHT SWORD that splits into two normal weight swords.  Either version will probably get your hero skewered.

Better have the smith send the hero on a quest to find the rare ingredient without which the blade cannot be forged. If you want to make the smith more realistic, have him demand a substantial downpayment in case the hero doesn't return.

While you're at pulling the dragon's tooth you should pluck some scales for your armor, nothing less will do. You'll need several score from just under it's tail just above the digestive system "Exit."

Frosty The Lucky.

I remember the sword quite well. Looked similar to a Roman short sword but a hand longer. About 4" wide with a deep fuller with a series of holes inside. About 3 pounds. I think some farmers found some of our artifacts and modeled the Roman short sword from them. But, due to their exceedingly short life spans simplified it so they could use them effectively.  No magic. Just a joint that allowed the sword to come apart at the middle seam. But the tribesmen who we conquered believed it was magic. Our metal was cast, then finished by the best crafts people on this planet. It was said that it took many decades to master the sword. There were holes in the hilt, that gave a light hold when wielding the half swords without fear of them slipping from ones grip. The pommels attached with a joint not much different from that used in folding ladders. And, the half swords could be locked pommel to pommel at different angles. In a battle one was used as a grapple to scale a villages wall. Those were different times. Those of us left, dispersed to different parts of the world when our city sank into the ocean. These histories have been told but I read that the ancient writing has not been solved. Good luck on having one made. A captured sword would trade for many times its weight in precious stones and metals.