I Forge Iron

Tent Stakes

I'm getting ready to do some camping soon and have gotten tired of all the flimsy, plastic and thin aluminum tent pegs that are the norm and decided to make these based on some long nails with plastic heads I've seen used for tent stakes. They are roughly 8" or 20cm long. I used some "scrap" steel from my pile that had once been part of a metal bunk bed frame. They are not exactly the same but close enough for a first batch and for actually use, they will do the job!

7395.attach

As long as you don't quench the top they should do fine.
the fancy top isn't really necessary
but if they break it's easy to rework them

all of mine look like jas townsend stakes except I make the hooked end fold over a little more.

The extra hook is to accomodate the tent stake puller and make it hold the rope better

Tying a small loop of tough cord through the nylon/canvas loops on the tent and staking to that will greatly extend the life of your loops.

I would like to make a suggestion on making tent stakes. I am concered about the possibility of them cracking and bending under use. I have made alot tent stakes for re-enactors, whose presentations are also camping every weekend.

The stakes I make are 12" x 3/8" square stock. These are given a 4 side taper point. The other end is then bent to a hook 1" back. The reason for the size and shape is the depth you can drive them into the ground for the tent. It will keep the tent planted. Also the square shape will not turn in the ground as round stock will.

If you are making stakes for a dining fly I would suggest making them 24"- 30" x 1/2" to allow for a spring action in normal winds. If storm winds arrive, the stakes can be driven alot deeper so that the fly isn't blown away.

This style lasts the re-enactors a long time unless they lose them like they usualy do.

7405.attach

I made quite a few pegs during the immediate aftermath of the earthquake. I just used our old friend rebar. Put a chisel point on one end and quench at purple. Allow the other end to air cool. These were being driven into thin concrete, dirt, rocky ground etc. and my Rustmart motto still stands. Not one broke!

The design of tent stakes depends a lot on what type of soil you will be putting them in to. The types so far are great for heavy or clayish soil. Up here in Michigan it's mostly a real sandy soil and those don't hold well. I've made them from 3/4 inch angle iron, 24 to 30 inch long, with a point on the one end and the other bent over to a hook so the angle is away from the tent. This makes a good anchor in sandy soil when angled so the wide side is holding the ground.

Here in windy NM I use scrap rebar and make them substantially longer---we had 50 mph winds last campout and I ended up lending and then selling all my large stakes. Of course we are not using nylon "small" tents for the most part but medieval designs.

With the high UV index and the rocky ground plastic stakes last an average of 1.5 campouts and fail during installation so there is always a market for the forged ones. I have a student who is learning that whenever he comes by to forge and doesn't have a project he gets to make stakes---pays for his propane use and does help his hammer control as he points them.

A good addition would be a handled tool with a hook to pull them back out of the ground when it is time to pack up.....
Jerry

I use this type of tool...................:D

Sorry Jerry, I just couldn't resist!

7428.attach

Edited by larrynjr

Part of the reason I made mine the shape I did was to have a flat area to hammer on, directly above the stake shaft. The rounded heads of many of these other types puts the downward force past the center of the stake shaft, which with the cheaper aluminum version cause them to bend easily. Not an issue with the steel ones! Many of the places I camp have river rock just under the surface so having a stake that will drive straight down without bending is going to be a plus. I'm leaving to go camping on Sat. so I'll let you know how these stand up to being hammered on.

As long as you don't quench the top they should do fine.
the fancy top isn't really necessary
but if they break it's easy to rework them

all of mine look like jas townsend stakes except I make the hooked end fold over a little more.

The extra hook is to accomodate the tent stake puller and make it hold the rope better

Townsend's tent stake are currently being made with the hook about 45 deg. I think the picture is old. I have been making their tent stakes for a while now. I try to keep the top as close to inline with the shaft as I can so it pounds in better. I also don't quench any of my tent stakes. I would rather have them bend a little than break. This weekend at a show I repaired about a dozen tent stakes for another participant. They had either craked or broke off all together. He said the blacksmith had quenched them to make them stronger. I let them air cool before I gave them back.
Mark

Here is a rough drawing of the tent stakes I make, just got an order for 50 of them due before Christmas...

3/8" square stock, bottom gets a little twist near the point, top is bent over on itself but not welded and the loop is for tying ropes to with about 5/8" id and is not welded either. Stake stands about 14" though I have made another set for my dining fly that are a full 2 foot long but are made from 1/2" stock.

I have been using my first set of 10 of these for about 15 years with no cracking or major distortion and the dining fly set have been used for 5 years. The only problem is there is one at a local campsite that will not come out of the ground as my son drove it into a tree root and has now been there for 4 years, very obvious a lot of people have tried to get it out but it is still there and we use it each time we revisit the site. Last time I left a business card hooked to the stake, maybe someone will place an order for more?

7445.attach

On mine the rope goes through the loop or eye not around the driven rod. Also something I failed to mention was the loop (or eye) is rounded out so the square stocks corners doesn't wear through the rope. The curved section keeps the stake from being driven too far into the ground as well.