I Forge Iron

Buffalo forge blower seized

Cowboy Rich

13 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Looks like the 50/50 mix penetrating oil worked.:)

Yes it did never had heard of that before thanks for the tip, I'll be remembering that one, I have a 9n tractor to restore also that it will come in handy I'm sure.

12 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Or was it the big hammer? :lol:

HaHa just a dead blow:)

I usually just squirt the mix on badly rusted nuts & bolts or parts, let it soak or an hour or so and they come apart like new ones. Never had to soak them, the acetone will pull the trans fluid right in. I learned that from an old friend, when working on old muzzle loaders which are famous for rusted fasteners and had run out of Kroil.

3 years ago I picked up a 1988 Bronco, that had been parked and left for 20 years, the engine was froze up. I filled all the cylinders with the 50/50 mix, let it sit for a week and turned it over with a 12 inch wrench on the crank nut. Replaced the fuel system fired it up and have been driving it since.

Well blower is working good now I just have to establish the first fire in it. Anthracite coal is throwing me more of a learning curve than I planned on, maybe this week I'll pick up some hard wood and try that way. Still learning I'm greener than wheat grass remember!

I have found a good lube is chainsaw bar oil with a little STP mixed in. There are others who use 30 wt motor oil and I have used 90 wt gear lube. Those old blowers are not real fussy about the lube with the exception of using grease. They are what is called a splash oil system, if over filled they will leak like a sieve. Use just enough oil for the lower gear teeth to run in it and the lube will be distributed throughout.

Heavy weight stuff can definitely make for hard cranking---especially in the winter.  I use a light machine oil sold out here for lubing swamp coolers---avoids all the stuff in car oils I don't want, like detergents and we always have some on hand.

I expect my blower to drip and on a dirt floor it's not a problem.  For use on a wood or concrete (or brick, stone, etc)  A Al tray of kitty litter or oil dry is suggested for underneath it.