I Forge Iron

How to Forge an Arrow Thru Cusp thumb latch video

I would have bet my bottom dollar that was your video. TBI strikes again. Oh well. I can't wait to be able to watch this one. I'll have to wait till tonight when the traffic on the WiFi network I use thins out or the buffering drives me nuts. Looking forward to seeing another great video. Thanks. 

Pnut

Pnut, no biggy.   I'm all for not remembering "Exactas"..   I'm more of a "Sorta" or " Rounda".  but have had to change gears a lot since coming here. 

Billy, Thank you and your welcome. 

I custom made these for hot rasp handles.  They have 2 gripping positions  and a fail safe for those times when the hand slips.  When I hot rasp I like a full digging throw of the rasp..  This also adds some weight to the setup. 

I'll take some shots tomorrow if I remember..  I might actually make a short video on it.  Thanks to you.. that might be a great idea. 

Great video. I even watched the Mark Aspery vid again. I'm amazed at how much more I get out of watching a video with a little experience under my belt compared to watching processes I've never done before. It's like night and day compared to just last year.

Pnut

Pnut.  All of the previous videos I have done are meant to be a teaching video..  Not teaching as in just watching.. But teaching as in watch the video a few times then go and try it. 

Then watch the video again and go try it..  Then watch the video again and try it..  By the 3rd forge session the skills presented will be well understood and now are owned by the watcher. 

Few realize the object shown being made is not the idea.. It is the skills used in the process of making the item. 

I've had a hand full of people realize what the videos really do and it's amazing when they comment and let me know they have discovered how to use them in a productive way. All of the videos literally show or instruct how to make it.   Not just show how something is made. 

This video is actually new in format and is going to be the format I stick with for awhile.. there is going to be a shift in the information presented and I might move towards a more popular aspect of just forging stuff and present it as such and move away from the "How to" videos completely.

Yeah, I've learned something from every one I've seen and the only way to really learn it is to do it. I've used things I've learned from your video and put it in to practice on other projects, definitely. I like to learn in the way you mentioned. Learn a skill and practice it then add another skill on top of it to add to the next project. Simple example is learning to taper then making an S hook then add punching and make a J hook then make a trammel hook etc. Each skill builds on the previous one. What I was trying to say and I guess I didn't do it too clearly is I can tell a huge difference in watching a video now that I have some context and some experience actually forging so what I'm watching doesn't seem like such a mystery. I've noticed I understand what is going on and can  anticipate most of the time what is going to be the next process and understand why. It's not a total surprise to me when a demonstrator does something and the order that it gets done like it was just a year ago. With the minimal experience I have I can look at  things now and sometimes know how they were forged. I couldn't do that a year ago. I love your videos. The way you do it is the way I learn most easily. I've seen some videos by others that they seem not to know anything more than I do and don't put any thought into how to actually present what they're doing so a person can make any sense out of it. So I appreciate the thought and effort you and a few others put into their videos. I haven't put together video footage but I know how much work goes into post processing a photograph so my hat's off to you for the all the time and thought you put into presenting your videos.  I hope you can make sense of this barely coherent post :blink:. Thanks for another great video! 

Pnut

What i get most from yours and a few others videos is the process. For instance your thumb latch, while not as questioning of other projects, i may be asking my self do i forge out the handle part first or do i forge the arrow part first. For instance my first draw knife i started on one end and drew out the handle, then to the middle for the blade, then the other end for the other handle. Turned out horrid. The next few i started in the middle to make the blade then drew out the handles. Much better. 

There are only a couple smithing channels i subscribe to, yours is one of course, but many i have watched are just them working with out explaining what and why they are doing something. Like last night i watched a guy make baling hooks. It was sped up with no commentary, while fun to watch i got nothing out of it. 

Thanks for taking your time and showing us these things. You and many others here have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try different things. 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

Pnut.  All of the previous videos I have done are meant to be a teaching video.

This is exactly how I teach... though I don’t teach blacksmithing.  Fantastic video thanks for sharing