I Forge Iron

Home made forge

Solo

Welcome aboard. You look like you're well on your way to a good forge. I'm on my mobile phone so I can't tell. Is that a rotating clinker breaker? 

Glad you decided to become a member. Be safe and remember it's supposed to be fun. Don't let yourself get frustrated and ruin your good time. 

Pnut

That's one heck of a forge you're building Paul. I understand building for the enjoyment of building but that is way over built. That's just my opinion mind you, it's your shop, your way. Yes?

Is the electronics part of the blower, maybe speed controls? I just gate the intake to adjust air flow or make a waste gate if the motor depends on flow through the blower for cooling. You use what you have of course.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your forge in action, she looks well built and strong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard Solo. I like your forge concept. That blower looks like it will put out a lot more air than you will need. What fuel are you planning on using? Coal requires more air than charcoal.  If the blower is putting out too much air on low, you can open the ash dump door some, to bleed off air.

Don't know if you have read this yet,  READ THIS FIRST  it is full of good tips for using the forum.

My wife gives me an allowance every month to spend on my vises---and vices. Buying post vises tends to cut down on funds available for the other sort of vices. (Because I stick to the allowance; we have money in the bank for when a DEAL shows up!  I recently bought 3 powerhammers, 5? postvises, a 248# Peter Wright anvil, pile of tongs and top tools, etc and so on.  I'm past the halfway mark selling stuff off to pay for what I'm keeping.)

One potential concern I would have with your clinker breaker design is that it appears to have one relatively close tolerance fit inside the ash dump (threaded rod through the pipe) if I am viewing your photos correctly.  You will certainly get a lot of particulate here, so if I understand the operation correctly, hopefully it will be low friction coal dust rather than gritty pieces of broken up clinker...

Do you have a mechanism for locking the clinker breaker in position where you want it during forging?  As I see it this will also work as a final air gate, so you are going to want to be able to set the size of the gap unless your fan controller is very good.

Ja i have dine this for over ,30 years....

1 hour ago, Latticino said:

One potential concern I would have with your clinker breaker design is that it appears to have one relatively close tolerance

Yes I am nerly 50. Make your own. 

I am at a total loss to understand what I wrote that offended you.  Perhaps your translator program has failed. 

I was simply trying to help you make a better forge by identifying areas that might be a problem.  If you don't feel they are an issue you are certainly welcome to ignore my comments, as I will ignore yours.

I am curious about one thing.  You say you have been doing "this" for 30 years, but earlier state that you have only been forging for 4-5 years.  Which is it (or is "this" something to do with the empty field that you show in the photo)?

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Yes I am nerly 50. Make your own

Incidentally I'm also over a decade older than you are, if that matters.  I try not to blow my own horn, but I have made my own forges, glass furnaces, annealers, heat treat ovens, pipe warmers as well as designed HVAC and contamination control systems for numerous hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers and clients like IBM, McDonnell Douglas, Bell Labs, and several colleges, among others.  I have a bachelor's of mechanical engineering from a world renowned university and am a registered professional engineer for the state of NY in the US.

Solo, the rude post you made has been removed, as well as the useless overly large photo of an empty field.  If you wish to ever post here again you will not attack other members nor talk with such foul language, Also you need to trim your quotes there is never a reason to double quote anything

This is being made public same as your personal attack was public, Now lets all get back to smithing talk