I Forge Iron

New fella from Kansas

KS Guy

I'll look at a library when I get to a big enough town that has a library with the chances of having blacksmith books.  I live in rural Kansas, in a town of 250 people, and the nearest bigger town, about 15k people is about an hour away, but I will definitely take that approach next time I go there.  I do understand what you are saying though 100%.  The same goes for videos, music and other things as well.  Thanks for mentioning it!

The whole idea of ILL is that small rural town libraries can access books from a wide range of other libraries---books that would NEVER be found locally.  So in my rural NM Town I can ILL books from over 90 other libraries including several University libraries.  I was able to easily ILL a book I had had on an internet book seller search for 10 years with no luck.  Ask at a library desk about ILL you may be surprised what you can find.

https://kslib.info/440/Interlibrary-Loan  discusses some of this wrt the Kansas state library

Even places where they charge US$2 for you to check out a book for 3 weeks; it's still cheaper than coughing up the money for something like "The Celtic Sword" by Radomir Pleiner only to find it doesn't meet your needs!

3 hours ago, KS Guy said:

Thanks for mentioning those books

There's a pretty good selection of free PDF'S if you search bamsite free PDF'S I downloaded about ten or twelve. I think all four volumes of practical Blacksmithing is there and the modern or complete modern Blacksmith along with many others.

Pnut

Thanks Mr. Powers, I'll need to look into that a bit more and see.  My buddy is renovating our tiny library at the moment, so once they get re-situated, I'll have to ask them about it.  

Thanks again Pnut and JHCC!  I'll check that site out and see what looks intriguing.  Problem with me is, everything looks intriguing when I get into something new!  Lol  I like to immerse myself pretty good in whatever it is I'm trying to learn, so thank you all for the suggestions!  I sincerely appreciate it!

If anyone is going to complain about neighbors, it will be me complaining about them!  Lol  They re a bit of  rowdy bunch, so they are usually thanking me for not calling the cops on them.  True story!  :-)

Seriously though, the town I live in is pretty decent about leaving people alone as long as they aren't bothering others.  The way it's supposed to be.  I work from home as well, so there's always a bit of noise coming from here.  The main thing is, just being respectful, and paying attention to what hours of the day I work and make a ruckus.  Of course being cordial to the neighbors goes a long way as well.  

And if you meant that tongue in cheek, disregard this.  :-)

Every forum has an overall personality, comprised of many personalities, so it always takes a bit to get a feel for a new forum.  I apologize in advance for any missed humor.  I tend to find humor where it wasn't intended and miss the obvious at times.  :-)

18 hours ago, KS Guy said:

I tend to find humor where it wasn't intended and miss the obvious at times.  :-)

And this is somehow remarkable? I tend to have trouble not finding everything humorous. Sorry, I'm no help with Shillings but I always seem to have pounds to spare when I weigh in. How many shillings in a pound, I'm maybe rich?  :)

Frosty The Lucky.

But you REMARKED on it, making it de facto "Remarkable," just as my remarking on your's makes your's remarkable. This little sub thread has nothing to do with the original subject of this thread whatever whatever it may be, making that topic Unremarkable. We can shift our remarkability around as we wish. Makes me giddy with the power. You?

I don't know about that Thomas isn't a CWT actually a weight unit of it's own? American "short hundredweight" = 100 lbs. but English is a "long hundredweight, 112 lbs or 8 stones." Okay okay! a pound is a pound the world around! So shilling and pence being an even division of a pound would be usable as a measurement of weight! 

Man, if you get that straight, Bob's your uncle.

Remarkable questions eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

In pre-decimalization currency, 12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. At 112 pounds to the hundredweight, that would make a hundredweight 26,880 pence or 2,240 shillings. That means my 1*1*8 Mousehole (AKA The Undisputed King of Anvils) would be 2,960 shillings or 35,520 pence.

Then there's the guinea, which is worth one pound + one shilling. This would also mean that there would be 5-1/3 guineas to a hundredweight.

Of course, with the pound sterling currently worth about $1.30, that rather complicates the perennial "How many dollars per pound should I pay for my anvil?" discussion....

What no ha-penny or farthings? How did Schliemann's discoveries affect Troy weights?

I'm afraid that at the moment I'd put a 2 leftmost in a CWT weighing.  I just found out there is a class 1 recall on my insulin pump; I wonder if the 14 hours in the ER Christmas Night is related, or the EMT run a couple weeks later...Now if they would recall my pancreas...

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I just found out there is a class 1 recall on my insulin pump;

I was wondering if you had one of the recalls, I've been seeing TV notices about turning them in for maybe a week. I couldn't help wondering if you weren't a victim but I figured you would've said something if you were. Guess you're less connected to the world than I am, go figure. 

I have a pair of moccasins somewhere with ha-pennies to lace to. I don't know about farthings, I've heard of them but have no idea.

John?

I do know a Stone weighs between 38-44 lbs.  

Frosty The Lucky.

I used to work with a fellow from Scotland whose bathroom scale was calibrated in stone.   

Frosty, it turns out that if you don't watch TV and moved from the address they had for you, you can slip through the cracks.  It would have been nice to have known about this earlier---maybe they would have covered the ER bill.

I guess the modern definition of hermit is no social media, no tv.