I Forge Iron

New fella from Kansas

KS Guy

Hello everyone!  I just got my first anvil and forge, and since then have been reading on here and trying to learn as much as possible, while I get my new acquisitions situated.  I purchased them from a friend who used to shoe horses back in the early 80's.  It's a Mankel 95# farriers anvil, and I think the forge is a Mankel as well.  I think he purchased them through the Oklahoma Farriers School, if I remember correctly.  There's a little bit of info out there about Mankel's but not a whole lot it seems.  The anvil is on good condition, and so is the forge (once I get it cleaned up) other than the blower needs replaced on the forge.  It's one of those old Dayton 12v blowers.  So I figured I'd get a new one for 115, if I decide to use it instead of buying a propane forge.   I do have a hood for the forge, that I believe came with it originally, but it's in the back room, so I didn't get a picture.  

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for the knowledge they share on here.  Here's a few pictures.

DSCF0284.JPG

DSCF0285.JPG

DSCF0286.JPG

DSCF0287.JPG

DSCF0288.JPG

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photos.

31 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Whatcha interested in forging?  That forge looks a bit specialized.

I'm kinda interested in forging ornamental type doodads, hooks, utensils, and just whatever comes to mind down the road.  I don't have any real specific direction I plan on going, I'm just going to go with it and see where it leads!  I do a bit of machining, so I just want to do some metal work that isn't so precise, if that makes sense.  

The forge is a farriers forge.  I think they sold them as a set, or maybe he just got them at the same time, I don't recall exactly, but I do know he got it while he was down in Oklahoma at the farriers school...........In Tulsa I think.  

19 minutes ago, pnut said:

Welcome aboard. I've never seen that type of forge before with a firepot and little hearth. Looks pretty cool. Good luck be safe and remember it's supposed to be fun. 

Pnut

Thanks for the welcome!  It's a small little farrier's forge,  I'm almost certain it's a Mankel, but not 100%.  I just text my buddy to ask, I'll report back when he answers.  I couldn't find any info on it, and barely any on Mankel anvils, so it must be a bit obscure.  Fun is my ultimate goal, in every aspect of life!

38 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome aboard... I always suggest this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Thanks!  I did read it, thank you!

8 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Is the forge coal or gas? I remember Mankel used to make a small portable coal forge. Now all the forges are propane.

It's a coal forge.  This would be that forge, I'm pretty certain.  I did look up Mankel forges and saw they only have gas now.  I literally can't find anything at all about the forge online, not even any pictures, so maybe it wasn't all that common, I'm not sure.    

11 minutes ago, pnut said:

As far as I can tell it's a firepot with a small hearth. Like a rivet forge with an actual firepot but the op will know for sure I'm just guessing 

Pnut

You give me too much credit.  :-)  All I know about it is it's a coal forge, for farriers, hence it's size for portability.  I'm almost 100% certain it's a Mankel as well.  (still waiting on my buddy to get back with me)  

I follow ya now.  I had to Google a pic of a rivet forge, and you pretty well described it in your other comment, "a rivet forge with a fire pot".  That's what it looks like to me.  He always just called it his forge, and I'm just getting into this and so I'm trying to pick up all the terminology.  

Thanks.  I'm pretty excited to try it out.

The other one thing I noticed is that your anvil looks to have some pretty sharp edges. In the future after you have some experience with it you may want to radius the edges. You can do find plenty of info about it in the anvils section. A progressive radius on the edge is very helpful for many different types of techniques. 

Pnut

I would absolutely be envious of you if it was a side draft firepot. If I was a better welder and had the equipment I'd be tempted to fab a sideblast version using your forge as inspiration. I primarily use charcoal instead of coal and charcoal seems to do better in a sideblast forge in my experience. From what I have heard from much more experienced smiths they agree, or rather I agree with them. 

Pnut

Edited by pnut
had to correct horrible run on sentence

Worn Shilling:  last time I had one was when I bought a bunch of old silver coins from a pawnshop. I was making a going away gift for a pastor we liked---a pectoral cross made from "30 pieces of silver".  A bunch of different countries, worn, old (some had Queen Victoria barely visible on them!)  I bought them at bullion cost, none of them were "collectible".   Pawn shop was in Columbus OH as I recall.

I want one just to be able to pull it out when talking with another blacksmith and it comes up. Kind of like a military challenge coin. Example: Do you have your worn shilling? No, then you're going to be paying for the coffee. Or, Yeah this is the tolerances smiths of old were recommended to work to. 

Pnut

I only want it for the novelty of having it.  More of a joke aand to be able to show people the tolerances smiths in the 19th century were recommended to work to. I just have to remember where I read it so I can reference it when talking about it. I also wouldn't really expect anyone else to have one. It's just an excuse to rib someone a little. 

Pnut

As I recall it was in a letter by one of the early steam engine pioneers who was complaining that the blacksmiths were only able to work to "the thickness of a worn shilling"  making pistons and cylinders quite leaky.  Hunting for it I mainly run into machinist references for boring the cylinder; but the letter I read talked about blacksmiths.  I'll have to hunt deeper when I get time.

I want to say that I seen a reference to it in one of the three main blacksmithing books I read and reread. The art of the blacksmith, practical Blacksmithing, and the New edge of the anvil with an outside chance I seen it in the modern Blacksmith but I don't think I ever encountered the original although I do have a machine blacksmithing PDF that could have contained a reference or copy , but I'll have to look when I get a chance. 

Pnut