I Forge Iron

Need some help from someone familiar with solid fuel forges

Binesman

So here's the run down.  I use Propane exclusively because I live in a yuppy part of a 100k+city less attention is a good thing.  I've been playing around with a lot of materials and things trying to come up with a better refractory.  One of the things I have come up with is a brick of starlite( GOOGLE IT)made from zircopaxplus(98%< zirconium) and just paste.  While it is very fun to play with, in its current state it is of no use to a propane forge user.  the reason for this is that the carbon in the glue burns up creating a blackoxide barrier.  That carbon release realy jacks up a propane forge.  However I don't know if it would harm you solid fuel users at all.  and if you make the starlite from zirc like I did.  That blackoxide barrier radiates the heat straight in to the zirc wich is highly refractory.  I would have WHITE embers within a minute of firing.  This stuff may be an amazing fire starter for you guys

Can one of you test it out please.  All you do is take Zirconium and mix in white glue until it becomes a dough like paste.  you may have to work it some to get it to that point.  but once there just tear a chunk off and toss it in your fire and see what happens.

I have to agree. There's not much of a need for refractory in a solid fuel forge.  When forging with charcoal (before figuring out my neighbors don't care AND i've got the wind on my side) I'd sometimes put a plate of 1/4 inch steel over the forge to try and reflect heat back to get to a welding heat, but that reflection just heated the charcoal into ash before I could get the heat needed for a forge weld. Piling up a huge pile of charcoal was the solution.  Now with coke/coal, welding heats are easy, burning heats are even easier!

30 minutes ago, Binesman said:

This stuff may be an amazing fire starter for you guys

30 minutes ago, Binesman said:

just tear a chunk off and toss it in your fire and see what happens.

Are you talking about using this as a forge building material, or as a firestarter like stated in the quoted passage of your post. I'm confused as to which use you are referring to. 

Pnut

Fire starter. You cant vuild a forge from this stuff because of how it works.

Fire starter. You cant vuild a forge from this stuff because of how it works.

Here is my understanding of the science.  Fire causes the carbon to start burning wich creates a black oxide shield that reradiates all of the heat almost instantly if zirc is there it takes that heat in and almost instantly vitrifies to porcelain(I blow out pieces of porcelain from my forge after messing around with this stuff)  in other words it gets real hot real fast with some help from a fire.  I think it could work great for you guys to get tour coals up to heat and ready quicker but again i dont use solid fuel so i have no idea how it could help

I understand now. I usually just turn the air up. Interesting idea though. I don't think it would be necessary. I'd like to hear what someone who has more experience than me thinks about it but it only takes a minute or two with charcoal and the air poured on.

Pnut

You have me confused too. The video you linked showed Starlight surviving amazingly well in direct contact with burning thermite, temps in excess of 4,000f. Getting 3,000f. in a propane forge is mostly luck, 2,700f is a more likely max. I'm already confused about how Starlight works being more than 90% flammable materials but I have to accept the evidence of watch this. I did.

Have you used the recipe given and tried it in your forge? I haven't so I'm very  much interested in your results. 

What is it about how Starlight works, makes it not suitable for a propane forge liner? The Starlight isn't actually burning is it? Is Starlight a one time fire stop/refractory?

Frosty The Lucky.

Lot of questions and 2 different materials.  Starlite.  I have made it.  It holds up like a champ to heat.  It does burn up.  It would not work as a long term solution because as it burns it creates ironoxide and that pushes the heat away.  So the more heat you throw at it the more it puffs up.  And it drops a huge carbon deposit.  I have altered the starlite.  Do the exact same thing with zircopaxplus so it is pretty much just zirconium.  The glue actualy provides enough carbon for the same reaction(I think its the glue in both cases) the difference is all that rapidly expandidng heat being caused by (I believe its called a black iron curtain) is getting sucked up by the zirconium so it heats up really fast and really hot