I Forge Iron

DiY Press Brake

A couple of years ago I designed and built a bottle jack press brake. The difference in my build is that both dies top and bottom can be removed. The 16ga dies in it didn't look this good when I got them. I sanded and buffed them out. All the material to build it I saved from work over the years. The only expense was the bottle jack. Im very proud of my press brake, it took years of thinking about it and a weekend to build it.

20180326_184812.jpg

20180325_165839.jpg

Very nice break 

I’ve got a big boomer that does shoot.  It’s a 37XC built on a savage 112 target magnum action.   It my ELR rifle I built.  Hand chambered the 32” barrel.   It’s no 50bmg but it does very well out to 2400 yards so far.  

58F16D48-AD97-4AD6-9B4B-2BF872D22A60.jpeg

It’s david tubb’s designed cartridge.  It’s called 37XC.   It’s .375 cal single feed only with lapua mag bolt face.  It’s shoots very well, I’ve held 1moa at 1 mile for 5 shots and hit 36” target on 3rd shot at 2420 yards

Left to right

flatine 361gr projectile, 308 win,300 win mag, 338 lapua mag,37XC w 350gr smk,37XC w 361gr flatline

B799AC2C-E17F-4BB1-8303-5D6F89C0AF28.jpeg

20 hours ago, Savage11 said:

Im very proud of my press brake, it took years of thinking about it and a weekend to build it.

Do you fold, as well as shear, on that thing? Beautiful machine, by the way.

10 hours ago, Savage11 said:

I do have a 43 mosin sniper and a PSL DMR both in 7.62x54r.

Biggest thing I have is a '45 Mosin carbine, 7.62 x 54, I can barely tolerate the recoil from THAT.  Y'all have pulled out everything but the 20mm!

Robert Taylor

Thanks, my brake wont shear metal. It will bend flat metal to various degrees. With the current dies Im limited to 16ga or thinner. I do have other dies for it. The mosin carbines M38, M44 have wicked recoil. My M38 tanker model will shoot a three foot fire ball at night. Its a shoulder killer though. Man, these old milsurp guns have shot up in price over the years. My BYF 43 K98 is worth 4x what I paid for it. Great investments. The 37xc has my attention beautiful weapon.

My 37XC weighs 25lbs and with the T5 terminator brake I can watch my impacts through the scope. With out the brake the recoil is stout! 

I need to make me a metal brake for building my beaver traps.  I made a hand powered one but bending 25 1/4” round rods at once was a chore!!!!

Nice build.  For those who don't want to roll their own press brake but have some sort of hydraulic press, one of the chinese junk tool companies centered in the midwest has a pre-made version designed to slip into an existing press available in their catalog.  It's not ridiculously expensive and is actually reasonably well built for a chinese tool.  Handy thing to have around the shop when you can't find a good bargain on a real press brake or finger brake.  

Obviously not as much fun as building your own but when you have 2 lifetimes of projects backed up, sometimes it's worth it to toss some money at things.

239639771_Pressbrake.thumb.jpg.3b90c60a0085d660a6d388138c1315b7.jpg

If anyone has a harbor freight press and a welder, one can build a simple press from 2x2x1/4 angle and a small piece of pipe. Ive bent 1/4" flat stock with it like butter. Im not sure how to post videos. If anyone is interested ill figure it out. And 3/8th square stock easily.

And yes, I am interested.

17 hours ago, Savage11 said:

Its a shoulder killer though. Man, these old milsurp guns have shot up in price over the years.

Used to sell for (some models) $50 - $100, including bayonet and other goodies.

12 hours ago, Kozzy said:

actually reasonably well built

Nice weld pass on that one.