I Forge Iron

gas cylinder bells

bigb

I hope it's OK to post this here, it's mostly cutting & welding but some hammering could be done on the decoration and hooks. I am getting ready to hang my O2 cylinder bell. I have the stand figured out for now but I am wondering what people are doing for the part that you hang it from, and hang the clanger from. I noticed the threads where the valve came out look like 3/4" with fine threads. I have some nice heavy rings, and I can probably make or buy a big eye bolt. I also thought about a D ring shackle. Just looking for some ideas from those who have done this

Good Morning,

You need to figure out what kind of noise you want. A 5-pin Bowling Pin, with the ring on it, makes a VERY hollow sound. A piece of hard wood makes another sound. A piece of hard plastic makes a different sound. A round steel ball makes a completely different sound. You have to have a hanging thing at the top and a hanging thing that will connect to your clapper and change motion from the wind velocity. Don't put it near the out-house, too windy!!

You need to experiment to answer your own question.

Neil

Pics will come....progress is very slow as I still work full time. (I've had the cylinders cut and ready for about 5 years!) Neil thanks, I am planning to experiment, I saw where one guy uses hard wood wrapped in leather. I also have some smaller cylinders that would fit up inside the large one but I wonder if that will be too heavy for the wind to move.

How heavy the clapper can also depend on how large the "wind catcher" is on the bottom. Croquet balls or polo balls can make a nice sound for large tanks.

I do quite a few from tank valve covers as they seem to show up cheap at fleamarkets, garage sales and scrapyards.  For them I have some 3/16" dia steel wire I use. Drill a hole in the top of the valve cover, heat one end of the wire and thread on light chain and bend the wire to form a loop and then wrap the end around the wire to hold it and provide a rest for the valve cover, then heat the other end of the wire and do likewise making a nice loop to hang it from.

For these small one I usually let the light chain serve as the "clapper" and hang a small forged chili pepper on the end as a wind catcher.  Each style of cover has a different tone and each chili pepper/chain swings at a different wind speed.   Got a bunch of various wind bells hanging on the Mesquite tree by the shop and in the summer when the bedroom window is open I can tell how much wind we are having by which ones are ringing.

For the full sized tanks I find a bolt that fits the threads, cross drill the bottom for a split ring (like on a key chain) and forge the top to take a punched and drifted hole or bent into a loop depending on the bolt length.  (BEWARE PLATED BOLTS---AVOID THEM!!!).

I'll try to get a picture this weekend.