I Forge Iron

Farriers rounding hammers

Justin Topp

Anyone got any experience with either of these hammers? Found at a local runnings. The 1.8lb has a really comfortable handle. They are pretty good priced and if they are good Quality I wouldn’t mind having them. I also like the long handles on them. They are also on the lighter size so that’s handy as I already have a 2.25lb a 2.5lb and a 4.75 lb. I don’t need any more hammers but I like hammers .....

72FB2404-86F6-4D0B-A740-776D78D13670.jpeg

0CA4C9BA-64EA-4E80-A2EA-B961F17D3F33.jpeg

E537F598-6DB7-4419-A11F-E931C5E49034.jpeg

62C9D6F1-98AB-4B72-950B-9ABAD069D39E.jpeg

6E17E8FD-F057-4F06-BC54-BA36F70201B7.jpeg

5F61503A-345F-4320-9F7E-825FD3C6D217.jpeg

C4D26268-21E8-4F4D-A2CE-71FD22A85ACD.jpeg

Most of my hammers, including the rounding ones, cost under US$10.  I buy used so I can buy MORE HAMMERS!  If you like the style you might look into learning how to make them.

Hammer fads seem to be cyclic among blacksmiths.  I remember the Swedish Crosspeen fad from the 90's. I have students who love my French crosspeen---one so much that he duplicated it so he could have his own. I have a Lynch Collection hammer I liked the feel of so much that I now have 2 in my primary forging weights and then smaller and larger including a sledgehammer.

When I pick up a "fad" hammer it is usually 5-10 years afterwards when folks who paid big bucks for one found it not to their liking after all and finally sell it off at ten cents on the dollar.  (Or at smiths' estate sales.)   I just picked up another rounding hammer and a 45 deg crosspeen sledge out of the hoard to keep.

One thing about cheap used hammers is that you are more likely to be willing to modify them to suit yourself than ones you have spent a month's allowance on (One reason I'm so cheap is;  I'm on an allowance!  One reason we have money in the bank for when I trip over a hoard of tools, I've stuck to my allowance and let the extra money pile up.)   Learning to haft them properly for YOUR hand/arm/use is time well spent.

I actually try to have a lot of hammers of different weights,styles, handles is that I teach and so try to teach my students to select the hammer(s) that work best for them.  Often ladies will profit from a heavier hammer with a very short handle and men will profit from a lighter hammer as you have to forge with your arm and not your ego...

Fair point Thomas. But I already do make them haha. I just saw these and liked them. I spent 118$ on a rounding hammer from a fellow smith and I’ve gotten my money’s worth and I love the hammer. I would never buy one for that much from a store but still. I’ve also made my own rounding hammers that I like and use. I just tend to hoard hammers. My favorite is a straight peen I made. On your comment about forging with your arm not your ego I think I fit that pretty well. I have hammers ranging from 2 oz to 9 lb and I’m most comfortable with a hammer in right around 2 lbs. with a 16 inch handle. That’s something that drew me to the 80$ hammer. It’s smaller at 1.8 lbs so I like that and it has a 16” handle so another thing I like. Thanks.

pnut- thanks and that’s definitely true. I might end up just ordering some 1045 and making my own of that size  

That Diamond rounding hammer looks nice. I don't like forging the Diamond horseshoes though. I don't like the feel of them under the hammer. I haven't used a rounding hammer, but I was thinking if I did, I'd save my money and get one from Mark (littleblacksmith) or Ben Snure (RanchmanBen) here. For that matter, there are a lot of good hammer makers here. I thought I might get a really nice one and support another smith at the same time. But if I ever found a used one, I wouldn't pass it up. I have never found a used one. Mostly cross peen and claw hammers. My main forging hammer is a square faced cross peen. Tractor Supply used to sell rounding hammers but they haven't in awhile now. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I agree it looks nice. Diamond horse shoes are the best shoes for forging I’ve used. Then again I’ve only Ever used Two types. Diamond brand and some really old wrought iron horse shoes haha. My rounding hammer I bought is from a maker called whiskey turtle forge. It’s a beautiful 2.5 lb rounding hammer. The other two I have were made by me.  Dunno if order is right but there is the 4.75 lb i made with the charred handle than the 2.25 lb I forged and finally the rounding hammer I paid for. It is the one with the goodies I was sent because I was chatting with him and he actually gave me all the advise and tips on how to make my first hammers. Also the WI horse shoe. I’ve also never seen any used rounding hammers but I’m sure they are around. I forge mainly with the 2.2lb straight peen I made myself. But I just like hammers so much and always want more haha. 

ive never really tried a true temper hammer before. I’d be interested in getting a larger cross peen. Where are they sold? Or are they antiques 

AC40C681-B2FA-420C-8C96-AC1A07E660C4.jpeg

6FB73C68-1A1B-4437-A3D8-617813C552D5.jpeg

AEF8CF7C-BBFD-4D2B-AE51-5110E3BD7F28.jpeg

E6EA724A-D139-4763-BD0E-DB75C21EBEAF.jpeg

The few I’ve used have also been from our horses. Except the WI ones I bought those at an auction and I just figured out they are WI after months of having them haha. I don’t really forge many horse shoes to begin with so I’m not that knowledgeable on forging them haha. One day I’ll make some hammers and sell them but for now I’m too busy with school to make and sell hammers