I Forge Iron

Forge went POOF!!!

chris freeman

I was happily forging away in my new ribbon burner forge and as I was working all the sudden my forge went POOF! I need to say it scared the xxxx out of me. I tried to adjust a little bit and it did it again a couple more times almost back to back. I should everything down immediately and got on this forum to find out what that could be. I know one thing I do not want to get blown up. Here is a picture of my set up.:blink:

Chris

image.jpg

Hello,

Maybe to much heat building up between the cast ribbon burner face and the metal shell that delivers the gas air mixture causing early ignition behind the cast ribbon burning.

Simple said, gases igniting before leaving the ribbon burners face. 

Just my first thoughts, good luck,

W

I don't have a blown burner (I use a NARB), but I often get a POOF! when I'm turning off the gas or when the propane level in the tank drops too low or the tank freezes. In my case, it's insufficient pressure to keep the flame face on the forge side of the ribbon block, resulting in ignition of the gas/air mixture in the plenum and T-burner.

A burner is a balance between the rate that the gas travels down it and the rate that flame will propagate up it.  Anything that changes that balance can cause either a blow out or a burn back.  Where I live we often get power hits; rural electric coop and that can cause things to pop.

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

Another good reason not to have a forge that depends on a reliable electric supply to keep from going boom.

Well if I want to have forge welding heat at my altitude then that’s kind of what I have to have. Trust me I’ve tried xxxx near every kind of burner.

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

I don't have a blown burner (I use a NARB), but I often get a POOF! when I'm turning off the gas or when the propane level in the tank drops too low or the tank freezes. In my case, it's insufficient pressure to keep the flame face on the forge side of the ribbon block, resulting in ignition of the gas/air mixture in the plenum and T-burner.

You have a naturally aspirated ribbon burner? How does that work? Do you have any pictures? Because that sounds very interesting?

Just to add a side note here, the old Johnson forges and I assume their brethren have a gas solenoid tied to the blower power.  No blower power, no gas.  On a quick internet search, such a thing came up for as low as $ 16.50 USD (and some with high prices) so it might be a cheap safety feature which should be added to any "blown" burner.

Perchance were you running the burner on the low end?  The flow of air and fuel into a ribbon burner will provide some cooling effect so that it doesn't pre-ignite behind the baffle.  Not saying that's what it is, just pondering possibilities.

12 minutes ago, chris freeman said:

You have a naturally aspirated ribbon burner? How does that work? Do you have any pictures? Because that sounds very interesting?

Have you read this thread? 

It's a long one, so get some snacks and a comfy chair. My own burner shows up around page 12.