I Forge Iron

JLP Services Inc (Jennifer) about me thread..

jlpservicesinc

I suppose I'm posting this here because I could not really find another place for it.. 

New Hammer..  8/2021

Wrought iron with 5160 face and peen.. Started on back in 2018 but could not decide on final design. 

Works very well..  The face needs to be flattened a little in the center as I designed it after a swedish pattern.. 

20210830_191232.jpg

20210830_191237.jpg

20210830_191241.jpg

20210830_191253.jpg

20210830_191303.jpg

20210830_191309.jpg

Yesteday 9/25 was the Fitchburg Forge In. 

I went and placed decently till session 3..  I was spent at the end of session 2 and picked modifications to the items which took more oomph..  

Ellen Durkan was the judge..  She is an amazing artist and forges wearable iron..   

Art is not my thing so was a serious struggle.  Being 1 minded by the time I got to item 3 I was only thinking in 2D and simply ran out of time to finish the item to my liking.  

It was a very serious competition and was against true professionals I've forged maybe 10 times since February 2021 so was very much out of shape..  

Was totally bummed that session 3 I was not able to finish but even if I had the item would still not have been truely wearable since I only addressed the 2D part vs 3D and did not realize until today that 3D aspect.. Duh.. 

I messed up and lost about 5-8min as I sheared the head of the hinge rivet while forging it.. To heavy a hammer blow.. 

Then I had 1 rivet pull out 2X and then could not hold a rivet 6 times..  

All this extra time crushed me.. Overall very excited with how things turned out though I did not win "Champion of event" this year. 

20210923_194253.jpg

20210925_163930.jpg

20210925_165305.jpg

20210925_165309.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched you and you where great.. I was torn between rooting for you and the fine blacksmiths from Prospect Hill.  Justin Morrell is great too. Everyone there is actually.. Most of the smiths there are on the artsy side of the craft... While I can appreciate that side of it, i'm more of a traditional smith like you, and would have struggled making wearable art.. Your display was beautiful, I love things that look like they belong in an old colonial home.

I tried watching Ellens demonstration but my dad and uncle kept talking and distracting me. She is a riot and a great blacksmith. It was another great Fitchburg Forge In, I got hit a couple times while you where forge welding...  I consider it an honor.

Frazer..  Thanks..  Session 1 and 2 were 1hr each..  Session 3 was 2hrs.. 

One really needed to work efficiently to make each piece happen.. At the pro level it was a serious push.. Well at least for me and the shape I am in..   The first item I had ample time..  2nd item I scrambled to get all the hooks forged and riveted and the item waxed in like 10min..    

Hind sight always being what it is, I could do much better and use the time better after the fact.. 

The 3rd item with 2 hours could have been completed but didn't even consider the 3D aspect.. I did some things which added to the time so really had to scramble and push to get this far..  The hinge was all my idea and worked slowly in the beginning..  Had I remembered the 3D aspect the shoulder pieces could have been bent as I made it.. But was thinking of them sticking up vs wrapped over the shoulders..  Problem here is the hinge as to open and close vs just having the piece drape on the shoulder.. 

Overall very happy with the work produced.. But.. :) 

JW513 some mighty talented smith there..    I was not on par and paid the price for that..  I thought I might be able to skirt by..   

Art sells..    I'm happy for those guys..  I guess that's why I'm opening a school..  I sold a tomahawk and the 1st and 2nd place price so that was good..   Of course I wanted that coveted jacket.. :) LOL..  

Next year..  I'll have a bunch of practice in and will be getting back to my roots..  

jlp-6.jpg

jlp-5.jpg

jlp-4.jpg

jlp-3.jpg