I Forge Iron

100lb tank regulator to gas forge inquiry

Weston Gilliam

Hello all, I recently bought a 100lb tank for my gas forge. I was told I needed a two stage regulator by a non blacksmith so I bought that. From what I can see I cant use this regulator with my adjustable psi regulator that I run from my 20lb tank to forge. I thought about getting a fitting that could adapt them together. The same person told me I couldn't use 3 regulators on a tank. I've called propane dealers in my area to see If they had a regulator to fit 100lb tanks that were adjustable psi and they wont sell non commercially. Would someone who knows about this please point me in the correct direction, so that I can finally be done with this wild goose chase???!!! Thank you for your replies in advance

Weston; I live in the USA and took the 100# tank that we ran our kitchen stove off of out to the shop when my wife decided to upgrade to one the propane service would come and fill.

It hooked directly to the 0-30# regulator I had been using for my propane forge with the standard BBQ bottles we use here in the USA.  No adapter needed, used a standard POL fitting,  no 2 stage regulator----which in my experience are generally used for high pressure gas bottles like welding gasses anyway, (except Acetylene.)

Not knowing which of the 150 countries that have participated here you are in I can't make suggestions for YOUR setup.

What does the valve on your tank look like?

Welcome aboard Weston, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header folk who live within visiting distance can invite you over or come over and give you a hand.

The guys at the propane distributor are liable for any advice they give so everything they say will be incredibly conservative safety wise. Whoever said you need a dual regulator to be safe clearly doesn't know what they're talking about so don't feel bad for taking ANYTHING they say with a bucket of salt. 

A 100 lb. tank operates just fine with a 0-30 psi. regulator. "Propane Warehouse" is a good online source if you can't find one on the shelf at the local propane supply's office/showroom. The pagefull of images where I copied the one below shows a 2 stage LP gas regulator but don't waste the money on one. About the only advantage is the second pressure gauge and you won't have any trouble telling when the tank gets low, you don't need no steenkeen gauge. :ph34r:

th?id=OIP.D03fMmtslaXExjAY9xanAAHaHb&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300  

What kind of forge do you have, number and size of burners, etc. If you need to split the gas supply to feed more than one burner there are some tricks, let us know we'll walk you through it. A psi gauge isn't really necessary they actually confuse a lot of new guys who think there's a "right" pressure and all the guys talking about what THEIR forge works well with only makes it worse. A gauge is good for repeating general temperature without having to adjust by eye and ear.

For example, general forging works well at mid to high yellow heat where welding works best at high yellow to sparking yellow. If you know your forge makes sparking yellow at 12psi. and mid to high yellow at 10-11 psi. You don't have to guess when you light up or how far to turn it down after the welding is done. Make sense? If you want a gauge though, most "high pressure" regulators like a 0-30 psi adjustable have a plugged fitting on the output side for a gauge. And YES you want the gauge as close to the regulator as possible, that's where you adjust pressure, not on the forge.

Stick with us, we'll get you fixed right up.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a single burner forge about 13 inches long, I'm unsure what you mean by size of burner but mine is relatively small with a .30 might tip for propane dispersal. I typically can judge my forge based on a little bit of experience with it, like the sound and color inside. I believe the lady meant no harm by what she was saying, she came from a propane background and I believe she was indoctrinated with give no advice that could lead to trouble for the company. She was actually very nice, but had no experience with propane forges, clearly. I may go to a two burner forge in the not so distant future. I would like to see if forge welding smaller bullets is possible in this forge is possible, but I understand it may be a stretch. Thank you guys for your helpful comments!

Good Morning, Weston

Slow down, walk lightly, don't take long steps. A Propane Forge will work with one or two burners, one is sometimes better than two. Try to make the Forge you have work, first. Yes, you can use a two stage Acetylene regulator, using a single stage regulator like in Frosty's picture is easier. Yes you should be able to add a pressure gauge to the Propane regulator. The Acetylene regulator only goes up to 15psi because Acetylene is VERY unstable above 15psi. The diaphram in the Acetylene regulator is not meant for Propane, but it will work for a little bit. If you want to do it correct, use a Propane regulator with a gauge. Propane regulators are available in 0-30psi and 0-60psi. Use the one you can get.

Welcome to IForge-Iron. Please add your location in your avatar, There probably will be a Blacksmith group fairly close to you. You can connect with them and join in for a workshop or meeting. Hands-On help is a lot better than sitting at the keyboard.

Neil

While regular acetylene regulators will have internals degrade with propane use; there are some marked "For all Fuel Gasses" that will work long term for propane just fine.

The 15 psi limit will be fine or cause issues depending on your burner and usage. It doesn't on mine so far.(20+ years)

• 2 weeks later...