I Forge Iron

Buy this old champion or new Farriers anvil?

Weight stamped: 3   16 so 3x28 + 16 = 100 pounds. Old anvils are often off by a few pounds. so 96 is within tolerance; *but*:

That edge looks pretty sharp; how thick is the face on it?  I'm wondering if someone ground/milled the face at sometime to throw away decades of of use life to "freshen up" a sharp edge that wasn't needed.

The 5th picture down, including the book, shows a pretty good delineation on the right hand side of the picture. I'd say a good 3/8" would be nice; but it's a More is better type of thing and depends too on what you will be doing. Old times smiths tended to use them till they wore down to a nubbin, and you could sent them away and have a new face forge welded on!

I got the eBay anvil today and I have to say that it seems to be pretty good for the price. It has about a 65% rebound and it definitely rings. Now to find out how to remove the awful blue paint. I attached a couple pictures, cameo by my newly built JABOD box (I might have went too small), and my unfinished anvil stand. 

IMG_5972.jpeg

IMG_5974.jpeg

IMG_5973.jpeg