I Forge Iron

BBQ charcoal is ok if you bbq with lump charcoal. Not the briquets. Cowboy lump is usually the next bin over at Lowes from the briquets. They also usually have Royal Oak lump. I think 15# or so bags for under $10. It's the end of the season, so they might be trying to clear it out. Also, I'm not sure how far you are from Glassboro, but the big steel guy is Fazzios. They have steel and everything else.

Steve

2 years ago about this time of year, I bought 12-15 bags of lump charcoal at Lowes, on clearance, 18# bags for $7 each. Keep your eyes open, when such items are marked down they don't last long. Sometimes you can ask a department manager if something is going on clearance soon. Many times you will get an accurate answer, sometimes not.

Lump charcoal is far better than briquettes. Briquettes are made by compressing all sorts of things in with charcoal pieces, lots of poor combustibles. Read this to learn how.   http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Charcoal-Briquette.html

Briquettes will never have the heat potential of hardwood lump charcoal. You can also make your own.

I was waiting for the charcoal at Walmart to go on clearance and since it still hasn't I asked about it and was told it won't be going on clearance. They stock it year round so they only have regular promotional sales and not clearance sales meant to sell the remaining stock.  It may be different in your location.

Pnut

3 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Might not hurt to ask a different manager again soon. Plus the rules change in the blink of an eye there

Absolutely. I used to have an assembly company and Walmart was my main customer. Not only do things change day to day the stores vary between each other. I spoke to the manager of the home and garden department but he may get different instructions from the store manager or an edict may be issued from on high in Bentonville. Who knows. The Walmart 15 miles away may have a clearance sale while the one a quarter of a mile away from me doesn't. I check every time I go in just in case.

Pnu

Yep that's exactly right. Our local Walmart super center has gone downhill. The standards when I worked there were a lot higher. It blows my mind the things I see that would have been a big no no when I was there. Hopefully they'll clearance it, or you'll find some ripped bags on the clearance rack!