I Forge Iron

Gas supply

jason0012

In my new shop there is a crazy air manifold that goes everywhere. I have two air fittings every 4 feet through the whole building. For some reason the guy I bought the place from, removed the foot or so that connects to the air compressor ( but not the two compressors???) I do not have any air tools and so getting air up and running is pretty low priority. What I do need is propane supply to the three forges in my forging area. My propane supply line ends 15 feet from the forging area. My idea was to disconnect the air manifold on this side of the building and tie it in to the propane. The air line is 3/4inch black pipe 38 inches above the floor. I am unfamiliar with code on such things and was hoping someone here might know if this is legal. An issue is that my flue will pass just inches above this pipe ( for the coal forge). My easy solution would be to drop the pipe to the floor, but it occurred to me that it may be preferred  to run outside the wall.

20190912_103250.jpg

I used to own a manufacturing facility and we had air lines all over the walls like that.  They tend to collect a lot of moisture and the down tube you are showing was typically a place to allow water to accumulate and would be drained daily/weekly as needed.  We placed our downtubes just before an outlet as you show.  Ours had glass water collectors on them so we could see when it was time to open the drains.  My guess is that's what this is.

Sorry, but I can't answer your question about the legality of running propane through that line.

Chris

Don't have time to do a free code search for you on this, but here is the link for the Kentucky codes so you can do it yourself: https://codes.iccsafe.org/category/Kentucky?year[]=Current+Adoption&page=1.  You will at minimum need to remove all the quick connects and replace them with plugs and bubble test all joints.  Steve is correct that the thread seal material for gas fittings are different from those used for air.  Chris is correct on the drip leg.  You are correct to plan on diverting any gas piping away from your coal forge flue.

And, the propane cylinder must be located outside the shop, so you will need to penetrate the wall. On the outside, between the shop wall and the fuel cylinder, I would advise using a braided stainless steel covered fuel house, unless you plan to go with a permanent fuel cylinder; in which case your local propane dealer will do the installation, and inform you what piping into the building is acceptable.