I Forge Iron

The surface of the anvil face

Which anvil face do you prefer to work on?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which anvil face do you prefer to work on?

• Anvil #1 Highly polished mirror surface
    • Anvil #2 Naturally polished from many years of work
    • Anvil #3 Rust removed, now some minor pitting and dings
    • Anvil #4 Stored poorly for a long time, surface is rough.

What is the preferred blacksmithing condition of the face of the anvil? Let's take 3 identical anvils, same brand, same weight, same everything except for the anvil face.

Anvil #1 has a face that has been intentionally highly polished to an almost mirror finish.

Anvil #2 has a face that has been smoothed from many years of constantly working hot metal. It shows the use as you would expect. but no abuse.

Anvil #3 has been around for many many years, has an unknown history, and once the light rust was removed, shows some pitting, minor dings, and would be considered good to very good condition if sold at a hammer-in. It was put into use, the anvil face now shows that the anvil has been used as a working anvil.

Anvil #4 has a rough face from being left unattended, stored, or outside for many years.

Please post your comments as to which anvil you, as a blacksmith, would prefer to work on and why.

While I don't usually polish an anvil's face, the smoother it is the easier the metal will move and I'm getting too old to work harder than necessary. So yes, the more polished the better. If a piece of work needs texture I apply it deliberately.

I polish my hammer faces when they start showing marks for the same reason.

Frosty

When I got my new Nimba, I was somewhat surprised and slightly disappointed that the face was not ground smooth but was left with the shot peen finish. After talking with Jim at Nimba, I learned that was standard way (for them) to leave the anvil and left it to the smith to decide if they wanted to polish it or not. He commented that many prefer the shot peen finish because the texture helps to keep the work in place and not skitter around on a shiny polished surface.

The shot peen finish does not transfer to the metal as you work it and I'm finding that as I use the anvil, my "regular" areas that I pound on are becoming work polished. So it it very obvious what parts of the anvil I use most! I am still very happy with the Nimba anvil.

I voted the anvil #3, and here's my explaination why, Mostly i'd prefer #2, but I actually prefer a very slight nose to heel sway back (nothing major) which lets me straighten pieces easier. I think that any sway back would put me in category 3 not 2 >_