I Forge Iron

Thoughts

Old oak

So I have forged out an identical pair of these which is a feat in itself for me since every single knife I have made has been completely different. Problem is I can’t decide where to go with them. I’m thinking bird and trout direction but something about the shape is throwing me off so I’m thinking of taking out a finger slot and then start the grind from there. That way one could choke up on the knife for precision work since the blade is about 4.5”. I have some moose antler laying around so I think I’ll use that for the guard and pommel and use Caribbean rosewood for the midsection with a stainless pin. I’m halfway onto the cleanup on it and trying to make a decision but stuck with knifer’s block...

EDA19531-6233-447F-B48A-3ABBAD0D2AE4.jpeg

Well the ******* thing bit me... it’s pointy that’s for sure. Came home with a nice new set of files and went to toss the bag on the workbench and forgot the knife was in the vise pointing out... looks like I played roulette and lost... probably use a few stitches but electrical tape works too. 

So lesson learned. When not working on the knives take them out of the vise and leave on the table. 

Its turning out nice though. 

6C1EE8F0-D9C6-4634-81C7-1ABD286407A8.jpeg

35939A43-8F4B-42E4-8207-F5E738CFC0EB.jpeg

About the handle construction, maybe not a good idea to put a pin in such a slim tang. I would epoxy all  together and put the pin on the butt cap.

Getting stiched in the fingers is very anoying and removing them is extremely painfull. They wouldnt sow in that spot so put an adesive and it'll be fine.

Trust me had plenty of stitches in my time. Pretty much all in my hands.  At this point they look like Frankenstein’s monsters hands. 

The tang is actually about 3/8 or so tall. 1/8” pin should hold just fine and I use epoxy also. I’ll probably do a couple internal pins in the pommel to keep it from popping off

No, that doesn't look like you lost at roulette it looks like you lost at mumbly peg. Never play mumbly peg with the knife in a vise! (SHEESH!)

Super glue is your friend. If you use the stuff made for false finger nails it has an antibiotic in the formula. Though to be honest I don't know what kind of bugs could survive a dose of super glue. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah. Took 3 butterflies to close it up. At a weird angle on the finger where it slides the whole slab of meat off the finger when I move my finger so I had to splint it too... got a couple ER dr friends that always tell me what to do. 

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

you don't want to let your dog lick any open wounds.

I don't want dogs licking me at all, I know what they use for toilet paper and cats are worse. 

I don't swap gross out stories with any medical folk, I know vets have a jog often filled with grossity.  Express an anal gland anyone? Ever wonder why a vet has plastic gloves that reach to the arm pit? 

Frosty The Lucky.