I Forge Iron

My new forge

Toolart

Hello all. I'm new to this just had the sudden desire to start metal working. Can't really explain that... so I bought a welder built a forge, anvil(cheap happybuy for now). I'd like to start by fabricating some blacksmith tools.  See were it goes.

20190625_200914.jpg

20190717_213252.jpg

20190716_191525.jpg

I warn my students about not bending their head THROUGH the dragon's breath and once lost some facial hair helping a smith get their new to them propane forge working correctly. It wasn't tuned even close and wasn't putting out much heat. As their tank was down below the entrance I suddenly got a full blast of exhaust out of it when I hit the right fuel pressure/air mix.

Thanks Steve S. Good advise. I only use the forge outside and store the tank outdoors as well. I would hurt to get an extension and keep the tank away from the forge.

9 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome Toolart, have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

It will help you get the best out of the forum.

Thank. I have read.

58 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I warn my students about not bending their head THROUGH the dragon's breath and once lost some facial hair helping a smith get their new to them propane forge working correctly. It wasn't tuned even close and wasn't putting out much heat. As their tank was down below the entrance I suddenly got a full blast of exhaust out of it when I hit the right fuel pressure/air mix.

Thomas. This photo was take with a lower pressure regulator. I have since changed to a high pressure regulator and a smaller oriface. The result was a hoter forge and much less flame out side the forge. That said. I try to be vigilant of the flames and fumes coming out. Thanks for the good advise.

47 minutes ago, Toolart said:

I have read.

You must have missed the parts about adding your location, using the quote feature and resizing pictures. We are more than happy to help you get up & running. That's a good looking anvil, never heard of the name. Is the weight in pounds or kilograms.

Nice start up kit right there. I'm no anvil expert but I do have the 110# version of this anvil and have been quite satisfied after I dressed er up a bit. From other reviews these anvils have intermittent QC so some have voids or bad/inconsistent HT but others are great. Mine is in between, 70-80% rebound on 3/4s of the face with one softer spot that's around 50-60% rebound.

I guess this would be similar to the "Italian Pig" style anvil. Nimba makes their anvils after the same style FWIW so I guess these are kinda like Nimba nock offs. 

20190502_174349.jpg