I Forge Iron

I'm here to pick your Brains!

jbones3

Hello all. Well I've been visiting off and on for 4 years now and thought it was about time I introduce myself.

You can call me Jeff; I live in Washington state, no not in Seattle, and have been trying to learn to be a Smith over the last 5 or 6 years but life gets in the way. I have an 80 lb Peter Wright anvil, a post vize that needs a new spring and a new leg, and I have rebuilt my forge 3 times. What was a pile of bricks is now an old sink, a satellite dish and some fence posts for legs. I have 3 books on blacksmithing and developed a deep love of the trade. But I have done very little actual work, just a lot of reading and video tutorials. 

Anyhoo. I look forward to learning as much as possible from you all and I am excited to get back in the smithy! 

jbones3,

Check out this web site for a video on making a vise spring.  It's easy and a good first project.

youtube.com/watch?v=53adpf1QbDo

Andy is a member  here.  ("everythingmac"  ?).

The set of threads under vice extensions are to be found in the vise 'stickies'.

Welcome to the fraternity,

SLAG.

Mr.  "swedefiddle" can inform you about blacksmith organizations in your area.  He resides on Vancouver Island, B.C.

Welcome aboard Jeff, glad to have you. 4-5 years and you haven't hooked up with the NWBA? :o I know life keeps interfering with our plans but good grief man attend a meeting! You'll learn more in an afternoon with an experienced smith than weeks trying to figure it out yourself, especially if you have limited free time. 

An 80lb. anvil is a good size and a spring for a leg vise is nothing to make, a new leg isn't a big deal either, especially if you have some shop tools, a welder is VERY handy. 

Much of blacksmith's tools and equipment was made to be durable but easily repaired so Don't get hung up on some "traditional or period" fix, especially a leg vise. A piece of pipe or better bar stock is perfect for the leg. The shoulder and peg on the foot is to keep it from moving and can be easily replaced with a weld on ring OR make a socket that bottoms out in the stand for it to slip into. A good stand is important for a leg vise, I like mine portable but got too fancy last time I made one and it's not solid enough for good work. 

Anyway, pick away Jeff.

Frosty The Lucky.

I had a postvise with a greenstick break.  We forge welded it together and then forge welded a strip of real wrought iron around it to reinforce it.   "We" as I took it over to another smith to get help as it's an awkward shape to try to work yourself.