I Forge Iron

Pic heavy, insulation problems

Trevor84

Thank you for the compliments on the burner and forge build, I think you guys have put me at ease about what I thought was a bigger issue. If other forges get that hot on the outside I'll just lay down some gasket and use the heat to warm up my lunch. I was just surprised at the heat so my ADHD kicked in and I hyper focused on that point. (ADHD = blessing and a curse) 

I'll relax and BREATHE then put some miles on this in a couple days then report back. 

Well I used a couple strips of wool ridgidized between where the forge meets the floor. I've put a few hours of "work" on this setup and the outside gets hot but the stovw paint is still good so I know I didn't reach 600f so that's good :)

I don't have individual videos but I tried a few different burner combinations and the 8" mixing tube and 0.035 contact tip seem to work best. I get a nice thick stable flame at all psi from 2.5-30. With THIS FORGE I run 5-7 psi for basic forging temp and 10psi for warm up. With the choke wide open I'm a little lean with a just a little bit of orange dragons breath, half choke gives me a little reducing and a bit of blue dragons breathe with orange at the tips. And since the flame is basically invisible once the forge is up to temp as seen in the pic below I have limited photos of the actual flame. 

(I make reference to the psi just because that's how I've been taking notes so I can duplicate apx temps)

My review so far, this forge is hot and heats up fast (10 min to YELLO interior) it is relatively quiet and holds heat quite well once warmed up, between heats and after shut down. There's minimal dragon breathe so more hair left on my arms ;) 

I wanted my first project in this forge to be a hammer but with most new projects you have to make new tools first eh so I started with a punch and drift (made from a big A$$ 1976 Chevy tie rod end) :lol: 

Thank you all for your tips and help, I think this forge is a WINNER. 

This video was taken 5min after start up, any later and you can't really see a flame just a goast outline of it.

20190723_113406.jpg

20190723_151735.jpg

20190724_145927.jpg

This hammer is store bought just the punch and drift are new. 

Well so much for complimenting you on an excellent looking hammer! :rolleyes:

Forge looks good the only thing I can see I'd tweak a little is how the burner is aimed. It looks like it's aimed a little more into the corner of the wall and floor than I like but that could just be perception. 

The slitter and drift look good. Did you radius the corners? I can't tell in the pics. If the corners aren't radiused they WILL leave stress risers and invite slit and drifted work to crack and break starting in a corner. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey frosty, if is any consolation I did make a new handle to fit my meat hook ;)

After refractory in the entry port I was left with limited ability to change the angle of my burner unfortunately :(

The flame hits just past center kinda then swirls up the wall, this pic shows it a bit better. 

Yes I radiused the corners, there not perfect ovels but not square either. 

20190715_131146.jpg

20190724_135203.jpg

20190724_121500.jpg

Mr Moose, I was worried at first at how hot the outside was but it's seeming to be a non issue. General consensus seems to be, "they're forges, they're hot in and out". 

This shows how the flame glances off the floor into the wall with a bit of the swirl. If I built this again or re line this I'd give myself more room to angle the burner. Other then it impinging at the joint? I do have a nice area out of the direct flame face. 

1 minute ago, Mikey98118 said:

Of course, like the rest of us, Frosty is a tweak-er of equipment :D

Well YEAHHH! :rolleyes: 

They put adjustment mechanisms on machinery to be used and if a manufacturer forgets them it's. . .  TINKER TIME:lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Mikey, so far so good. 

I definitely understand the tweaker/tinkerer. I already see many things I could tweak with this design on the next build. I still have my wooden middle so reproduction of the body will be easy but the next will probably be bent out of thinner gauge metal instead of welding plates together.

"tinkering": I've been taking things apart since I can remember. Them remote control cars go fast when you wire a stack of battery packs together. They also start to smoke real quick too ;) (sorry mom) 

20190611_120044.thumb.jpg.0740c861a1c19cc869d5360bae55af30.jpg

2 hours ago, Trevor84 said:

"tinkering": I've been taking things apart since I can remember. Them remote control cars go fast when you wire a stack of battery packs together. They also start to smoke real quick too ;) (sorry mom) 

My folks wouldn't have bought me a RC car if they'd been around when I was a kid. 

Your burner is mounted on screws and easy to adjust, I'd be moving it around a bunch myself. That's probably why I tend to weld my burners in place. . . Hmmm, maybe my subconscious knows something I don't?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes Frosty, welding them in place would definitely inhibit adjustments. :lol: self imposed subconscious impediments can be a blessing and a curse. 

Next time I light it I'll see how much I can get that angle to change and see what happens.