I Forge Iron

New Press Design???

Peppie

Had so much fun building my last press, thought I would have another crack at it.

The pic below is a rough draft! All the details can be worked out as long as I have a solid foundation.

The foundation (frame) is a piece of 1" plate cut to the drawings dimensions 

Shooting for a 16 ton press. 4" bore with a 6" stroke. 5ph motor to drive a 11gpm two stage pump. That will provide " almost"  1" per second on the second stage of the pump, according to Batson.

The press will sit on top a custom built I-beam to strengthen the bottom. (Not in drawing, ran out of paper space).

I know a few of you press guys out there will be able to say ," yes this is possible ", or " No, you have lost your mind"

All input appreciated

Peppie

20190623_164145.jpg

Well, I can't say either,  Peppie, but I can say that's a might fine looking piece of equipment you're designing there.  I'm a retired furniture builder and it's reminiscent of the "cloudlifts" in Green&Green style furniture.  I like it.

Wish i could draw like that lol its goin to be nice anything is possible with a square a tape and a 2'level and a welder you could squeeze cars with 1'' plate .All joking aside i like the design and the more compact the better in my opinion.

Chris, I to have built many pieces of high end furniture.  Was leaning toward the Art Deco theme.

ThomasPowers, neat idea.....or make the lifting eye the shape of a bell??

Bubba. TY, I am thinking I need small more compact than my last build.

Been thinking I may need a couple of gussets on the back side. 2 each, one on each side of the opening, running top to bottom. Would help keeping the 1" plate straight over time. Not sure it would be needed at only 16 ton.

Edited by Peppie