I Forge Iron

O1 Chisel repair

I forged out a bent handle chisel from O1 stock, but had cracks at the point where the handle met the chisel body, which I gas welded with ER70s rod. The cracking continued to be a problem, but I thought i had it whipped until I was trying to rivet the end of the tang on the handle, and the whole handle fell off. i want to save the work I did; any advice on welding on a tang? I have gas, stick, and TIG equipment available.

If I start over, the same thing could happen; plus all the labor i already put into it will be lost. or, I can see if my recent repair of my gas solenoid worked on the TIG unit, weld on a handle, and use the chisel to finish the shirasaya for the sword I am polishing......option B works for me. Scrap pile is pretty big already :)

I guess it happened....first time in a good while i had the TIG attached to the welder. Tacked it up, then preheated with a MAPP torch, and finished welding it, then put it in the vermiculite bucket to slow cool. I didn't need to reheat treat the working portion, since it didn't get hot enough to change the temper. It even withstood the accidental drop test.

O1 chisel2.JPG

O1 chisel.JPG

18 hours ago, Steve Shimanek said:

If I start over, the same thing could happen;

Yes it could, welding it could fail too. Can't live you life by letting what might happen make your decisions. Sure you need to be aware of failure conditions and take them into account but not trying because it MIGHT fail is a sad thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

It occurred to me some time after I couldn't edit my post the same thing goes for giving a shot at welding it up. It might not have worked but can't live dodging what might not work. Making it count is a better motto.

Thanks for serving Steve.

Frosty The Lucky.

Exactly Frosty, if I tried and failed in the repair i would have had to make a new one anyway. As  only the sacond chisel I have done, I have learned a few things by this evolution; O1 is hard stuff and doesn't yield easily. (Glenn has explained my social gaff as having failed to anticipate some theoretical parent's embarrassment in having to explain to a child what my phrase meant. I can live with learning new ways of social engagement.)

Thank you for acknowledging my service; I was not an Army Ranger, I only spent 11 days trying to be one:huh: The jump did me in.......