I Forge Iron

Trenton 171 date

1906... hmmmm same year the famous 30-06 rifle round was introduced.

Thank you. 

Now i need to post pics of the top. Because im not sure if the top plate is partually broken off or if someone welded on another plate

Probably just chisel marks, many a smith would test the chisels & punches on the side of their anvils.

BTW have you read about resizing pictures so they don't take up so much bandwidth? We have members from all over the world and many have to rely on dial-up for internet or pay additional for bandwidth, besides taking forever to load large pictures without high speed service.

And also a clear picture of a faceplate weld line and an anvil with a beautiful condition faceplate.

Roadkill636: damaged faceplates are fairly common but should impact the price.  They are like a rather major crash in a used car that has bent the frame.  Yes it can be fixed but it's not a trivial process.  Edge damage is very frequent and if not massive is often best left alone---edges are supposed to be rounded and NOT sharp.

(Sharp edges create coldshuts in work being done on them. Welding on the edges can cause more harm than good as the face is hardened high carbon and so just welding the edges up creates HAZ cracking and you break off even larger hunks when you use the anvil.  Welded up edges drop the price of an anvil as you can't tell if they were done correctly or if they were done incorrectly and so if you have to guess you guess that they did it wrong! Milled or ground face of an anvil drops the price even more as the thickness of the face is the uselife of the anvil!  Grinding or milling an anvils face is like taking a car you want to sell and putting another 98000 miles on it to make the odometer show all zeroes.)

When you save a pic on a smart(?) phone it asks how detailed you want it. Usually in some arcane language, pixels is common. Anyway, pick the second from the smallest and send THAT pic. Do a couple tests, we'll talk you through it. Okay?

Oh another trick I use on my lap top is do a "SaveAs" and pick a smaller file size. My comp allows me to choose a final file size, I typically try to keep pics I upload to IFI to under 100kb. Often 50kb. is clear enough. If someone wants super detailed I'll PM or email them the full size file.

We all have to learn new tricks every time our cell phone, or computer OS updates. <grrrrrr>

Nice anvil, a little chipping on the edges is normal, there's w whole section about dressing / radiuusing edges. don't worry about that till you have some time working on it. That's a FINE old lady you have and exact name, birth date, etc. while interesting has ZERO effect on how good a tool she is or what YOU learn to make on her. 

Frosty The Lucky.