I Forge Iron

Making a workbench

Pr3ssure

Not sure if this should have gone here or in the welding/fab forum. So I just put it here.

So I have two pieces of some nice bamboo butchers block, one piece is 47" x 25" x 1.5" and the other is just about square so it's probably 25 x 30 or so. I'm wanting to make up a frame for the bigger piece for a nice workbench. I'd like to weld up a frame from angle iron that it can just sit down inside, probably weld a piece of two of flat bar for sturdiness on the bottom side. I'm wondering the best way to go about it, should I make mounts to bolt up some wooden 4x4's as legs or just go with some sturdy angle iron.

Im wanting it for a general purpose workbench, although I probably wouldn't weld anything on top of. I've also got a nice big Wilton 6" swivel vise I'm probably gonna want to mount on it. So I was thinking maybe make some kind of piece I can use to secure the block to the angle iron fame with. Like to put on the top corners and bolt to the lower part of the frame. So if I'm jerking on the vise the table top won't pop out of the frame. I could just use clamps for that though. I say this because I'd rather not bolt it to the frame to weaken it at all.

I guess I'm really just trying to see what you all might do for a nice sturdy general use workbench.

Was preparing to build one myself and just use a couple LVL's for a top. Was thinking of mortise and tenoning some 4x4s for the lexs and supports, but don't really like the thought of putting that much time into it. Should be able to drill some holes in the bottom side of the angle iron and secure the top with screws. Angle iron legs would be the easiest unless you want to build some kind of bracket to securely hold 4x4s. Weld a piece of flatstock to the bottom of the angle iron legs and bolt it to the floor.

You can dig holes into the gravel floor and ether run the legs into the ground and concrete in, or concete in some anchors. Pour your concrete up to a few inches shy of the top of the gravel floor so you can cut them off later below ground level if need be.

If you aren't worried about looks I'd build with angle iron all the way. Just fit angle iron, flange up, to the wood and weld, drill a couple screw holes, say one two max on each side and that's secured. Angle iron legs need to be the strongest components and can be larger, 1/4" x 2" is reasonable and a LITTLE larger won't hurt. Lap the corners of the table frame. Put spreaders at a convenient shelf height, say 1/2 way between the top and floor, flange up and facing inwards so you can lay a shelf in it. Yes?  Reinforcing the shelf on the spreaders isn't a bad idea, especially if you use expanded metal or sheet steel.

You'll want to hips to prevent it from swaying, a hip's an angle brace from one leg to another Where the legs meet the table frame to the spreader works a treat. Put them at 90*s on the back so they're not in your way. Yes?

A gravel / dirt floor is perfect, it makes it REALLY easy to keep it from moving. Weld feet to the legs, say 1/4" thick minimum but don't get carried away. Before you weld them on drill 1/2" holes in them so you can spike your table to the floor. Easy peasy. Yes?

However you build your table you can spike it to the ground. 4" x 4" legs can have angle iron flanges screwed to the bottom to drive a spike through. 

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I may see if I can dig a fe holes to put concrete under each leg.  Then I could bolt into it, if not there are beams about 2 feet up I could bolt the frame to along the wall. It's a sheet metal garage so can't bolt into walls. 

I started making my leg vise stand yesterday but once I start the table I will keep updates here. 

It’s hard to beat an English style bench. Which is is essentially a squared top set of “A”s made of 4x4 or heavier stock and 4, 2x12”s two for the tops and one each for apereins on each side. It makes a quick build and rock solid. 3x stock is best for wood working to support dogs