I Forge Iron

Wedge

Need help Identifying

You sure did! I don't know what happened the pics didn't load for me. I'm sincerely sorry for going all curmudgeon for no good reason. Fortunately there was still edit time on the clock so I was able to delete my previous reply. 

It was my bad entirely. Now I get to take another helping of crow and admit I can't be of much if any help identifying the vise.

Think I'll sit in a corner and be quiet for a while now.

Frosty The Lucky. 

By dust off, you want to wipe the surface from one direction so whatever you dust it with remains in the depressions and behind features proud of the surface. When you take pics light it from the side at a shallow angle, the shadows bring out texture details like: stamped in or cast characters.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Dusting off is just a wipe of the surface so the flour or powder remains in the grooves. Usually one light wipe from one direction is sufficient.

A piece of paper and a pencil rubbing is another way to show information. 

If you use the point light source, a LED shinning on the anvil from a low shallow angle will create a shadow in the depressions showing information.  Try rotating and shinning the light from several directions, one at a time, that is N, S, E, W as the shadows created may be different.

Many times you can use all 3 methods and combine the information.