I Forge Iron

Sourcing steel / SW Washington or Oregon

Does anybody know a place that physically stocks 15n20, 1095, & 1084 in Oregon or Washington?  Like Portland, Bend, Yakima, maybe Seattle? It occurred to me that the time and abrasives I use up cleaning up rusty saw blades and the like would pay for a lot of nice clean store bought steel. I also have a car that gets 40mpg so actually picking the stuff up would let me buy half again as much as paying for delivery.

Check to see if there is a beach or stream near you that has a lot of magnetite sand, (what the Japanese call "iron sand/Black sand) and get a speaker magnet in a stout plastic bag and draw it along picking up the high grade iron ore.

Also start collecting the scale around you anvil/powerhammer, it's magnetite too!

23 hours ago, Rashelle said:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH iron ore........ We got to talk one of these days Thomas. I've gotten all of those metals from Kelly Cupples out of Yakima. Could probly also get them from pacific steel and metal supermarket in Portland.

I was at Metal supermarket in Portland yesterday. They don't stock 15n20, L6, or even 1095 or 1084. He said all he had for high carbon was a little 1070. I'll check out Kelly Cupples, Yakima is closer to me anyway.

Thanks Steve. I guess I should explore the forums more.

Metalsupermarkets opened a branch in Anchorage and I've found there always seems to be someone at the counter and they don't return my calls. The website doesn't list available dimensions either, lots of useful info but not sizes or prices. Seems that'd be an easy thing to keep current, spread sheet thing so we wouldn't bother them with phone calls. 

I have to say it's about 55 miles each way so I can be one of those people at the counter and ask  some basic questions. It isn't a very attractive customer service model for me. 

Frosty The Lucky.