I Forge Iron

Fisher chain vise repair... advice needed

Stevegannonhandmade

Hey guys,

I've been working my way into metal working, learning as I go with the help of a lot of youtuber's.  I've been making and selling things online (mostly Etsy, however I also have my own website), and I have been trading some welding work for vises and other tools.

An older friend is losing some storage space, and I've been helping him sell off some of the 'stuff' many of us end up collecting over the years.

Today he asked me to help him repair this Fisher chain vise to prepare it for resale.  As you can see the jaws are in rough shape. The rest of the vise looks and works fine, but those jaws!  It looks to me like someone has already had a go at welding them.  I don't have the vise in my possession yet, so for the moment I can't provide any more info than we have in the pictures.

So... I want to do it right.  I bet the odds are good that this will end up in a collection, and never do another hard days work, however... it just might end up back as a working vise, and I don't want to do anything that will get in the way of that.

I can weld and braze (I am not a certified or trained welder)... I just want to get opinions of how to proceed before starting.  If I end up adding weld metal I want to know exactly which rod to use.

My first idea was to close the 'jaws' on a thin parallel, then mark lines, perhaps .5"/.75" back from each side.  Grind/machine away back to those lines, and then install premade jaws with screws (like most vises).

And I'm sure a lot of you, with a lot more experience, will have great ideas to add.

I'll include a couple of pictures of the big anvil and a couple of vises he has out front of the little barn he needs to move out of.  He made his living as a Farrier for most of his life.

Thank you in advance!

Steve

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

IMG_6154.JPG

IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6156.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

IMG_6160.JPG

Fisher vises are cast iron with steel jaws laminated in the casting process, just like they did with their anvils.  Are you a REALLY good weldor of cast iron?  If not you will do more harm than good, possibly totally ruining the jaws of that vise.  

NICE anvil!

I did look at the pics.  A lot of that damage is from where someone who didn't know how to weld CI tried anyway and it later broke off the weld.  Lucky for them the jaws didn't fall off.  If you must, look up proper pre and post heat techniques, and there are some pretty good (albeit expensive) cast iron rods out there these days.  

I don't think he'll mind the cost of the rods, as he will likely recoup the cost in selling the repaired vise.  And... I don't need to be the one who does the repair... I"m just the one he asked.  I'll go back to him with all of the info and opinions and let him decide how to proceed.

Thank you for your opinion!  I do appreciate it!

Not to deprecate your welding ability (really) but that vise will never be a collector's item again, unless you spend 10 times more welding it than it is worth.

I highly suggest you make a deal for the vise as is, for your own use. 

I hear you.  And... I would love to have that vise, and I don't have any extra cash right now.  I've already traded him future welding work for a vintage B & D 10" 3 phase grinder I"m restoring.  I will be honest with him (already have been) about my self taught welding skills... I can weld, and I"m no pro.  If he still wants me to do it I'll give it a go.

Before and after Grinder for those interested...

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5215 3.JPG

IMG_5224 2.jpg

IMG_5225 2.JPG

Sell the vise as is and let the new owner do any repairs. Good cast iron rods are expensive, and welding cast iron is a procedure, not simply running beads. What is a day of your time worth, because that will be an all day job. That repair can easily run $500 if you want it to look and perform correctly.  As mentioned above it would be a user vise, not a collectible. What does he think he can get for it welded up? He may be dreaming Ebay prices for original ones in great shape prices, and they are not comparable.