I Forge Iron

champion power hammer

have a chance to buy an old Chamion blower and Forge power hammer. it does turn, but probably has not been run in at least 25 years. has been sitting outside for at least 10. it is located in Saskatchewan on a farm, so no real exposure to salts etc. i`ve only seen pictures of it as yet. i don't know the exact size, and the current owner claims to have never used it.

i need a ballpark estimate of prices on these particular hammers so that i can make an offer. i know i`ll probably get flamed for the limited amount of information that i am giving, but lets say it will need at least a partial rebuild and only one set of dies.

any help will be appreciated. i`ve asked for more pictures to my email and will post them should i get some.

its really subjective, some hammers sell for a small fortune like a little Giant 25 pounder will go for $5000 and a 250 pounder may go for the same. I purchased a basket case from Manitoba 2 years ago for $1200 and had it shipped to mid western ontario for $500, rebuilt it and made parts for it then traded it with a person for a 75 pound beaudry. I had to make a bunch of components for it but didnt mind and now that ive rebuilt a few hammers wouldnt mind doing more. if the sow block is cracked or frame is cracked or has any major structural damage I'd offer a little more than scrap rate but if its all there and good and wont take alot of repair then a couple thousand is not out of the park regardless of what size it is.

definitely send more info, if you pass let me know im always looking for an orphan powerhammer who needs rescuing, time and attentrion.

the hammer is a 0 and comes with 1 set of dies. I should have pics later today or early tomorrow

the Model A is for sale too, not mine so I can`t sell it. as much as I would like to buy it, I already have a `28 chevy project.

A '28 Chev (National?) . Nice. The last of the fours. Perhaps you could post a picture in the 'Everything Else" forum. Some of us here like old cars. I have a '27 Chev Capitol.

Sorry for being off topic, Admin. I'll be quiet now.

Me I'd go for that 1930's Bentley that was just sold for outrageous sums, assembled in 1936 from 1931 parts...

Yup that's the small version of the Champion. 30 pounder IIRC, the dies are a lot harder to get made than the LG ones; so make sure the ones on it are usable! Fairly easy to move with a good pickup. (I've moved my #1 once with my small imported 4 banger, laid it down in the bed, *carefully*, but it was for a short distance and a bit more exciting than I prefer. Next time a trailer!)

I thought the Aleutian Islands, as they cross the international dateline, were simultaneously the farthest east and west? Of course not mainland NA; but that would count out Newfies as well leaving Labadorites...

Soooo, whats a good ballpark offer on a weathered "0" with one set of dies?

I forgot about the Aleutians.

I`m posted to St john`s. we have a small gov`t building on the site of the former Fort Pepperell US base.

If I purchase said hammer, my brother will be shipping it out to me, at least to Halifax, where it can sit in my sisters yard till I get across the water to pick it up this summer hopefully.

all I need this thing to do is to pound out tomahawk blades, I can`t keep up with the demand I have, and my shoulders and elbows are getting old.

It was a Chevy Imperial Landau. made at the Oshawa plant GM is closing in Canada. all the wood is gone, ive been picking away at it for a number of years now, 28 yrs to be exact, have never driven it...maybe I should get that model A along with the hammer.

I don't know the market up there; my #1 which I picked up under power in Ohio was US$750 and my other #1 which I picked up in rough condition in New Mexico was US$600 15 years later; it's been about 15 years since then too.  Champions are considered a good hammer.

I hate it when folks want me to set a price on something; when they ask me "What do you want to give for it?" I usually say that I want them to pay me US$250 to haul it off... Car salesmen dislike it when they guarantee me that my payment for a new car will be less than I'm paying now and I ask how much they will be paying me as we tend to buy our cars for cash!  Never had one abide by their promise...

Can you pour babbit bearings, or would you have to farm that out? Is the clutch good? Are the springs pitted to the point they need to be replaced to be safe? I looked at a #1 that was listed for $2,500. Bearings were sloppy, the clutch arm had been cut and rewelded at a different angle, but it ran. I offered a vertical mill that was given to me and had sat outside for several years, and they were up for that. Unfortunately there was an accident with the mill - I had left the forks over the mill after moving it out to load, and overnight the mast leaked down and pushed the mill over which broke some parts - and I backed out of the deal. Sitting outside for that long it will need a full teardown and inspection, so figure what your time is worth to do that and plan on it taking much longer than expected. Then look at what a runner hammer is selling for, and compare prices to the cost and labor to redo this one.

Also look at how much time it will take to get going vs buying one and making money with it that much faster.

I'm still waiting for pics. i can and have poured babbit, can even weld too. have a spring guy that can do wonders with spring making. i have more time than money.

my brother ships 53 foot trailers full of heat recovery units all over North America, so shipping is negligible 

my champion blower is over 100 years old, i had to make a new wood handle for the crank. i use it for charcoal forges, which i vastly prefer over propane or coal. 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:25 PM, Hammer & Steel said:

Hi I just purchased a champion 400 blower. It had been sitting outside also for some time. If you purchase yours I may have some parts you need.

Welcome to IFI... Hammer & Steel. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

I'm a little confused, the parts you have are they for the 400 blower or the #0 power hammer? If for the blower, I would list them in the tailgating section, plenty of folks here that are looking for 400 parts that may not look at the power hammer section.

As someone new they may not have realized that the company's name was "Champion Blower and Forge Co" and thought he was getting all 3: Champion blower, Champion forge and Champion powerhammer and not just referring to a "Champion Blower and Forge (Co) Powerhammer,

Come to think of it I may have all 3....have to see who made the "RR" forge and my hand crank blowers...

It's hard to tell from the pictures, although it doesn't seem to run all the way through from the pictures of the opposite side & back. I would take a look at it in person, provided it didn't involve much more than a day trip or if I trusted my brother's opinion about it.

OOPS... I just looked on a map and I guess a day trip is out of the question.:) What does the seller say about it?

seller says its just a rust line. turns out he doesn't want to sell it that badly, at least not for what i can afford. if anyone was interested in the hammer or that car, he asked if i could pass on his email. PM only