I Forge Iron

Casting it out of plaster of paris is RIGHT OUT!  Can you perhaps tell us the DETAILS of what you plan to use?  Cast steel is quite ok either mild of moderate C, High C is a bit more tricky. I would NOT suggest cast iron unless you are doing a ductile or malleable cast iron.

Note that casting of metals is NOT blacksmithing, it is foundry work, have you visited alloyavenue.com a set of forums dedicated to foundry work? (used to be called backyardmetalcasting.com)

I was told it was called a pike anvil its called a stump anvil. But im trying to cast a anvil horn to weld onto a 6"x4"x1" plate, weld that to a solid post and wedge as a alternitive anvil till i can afford one

maxresdefault.jpg

Note : not my photo

Edited by TheSingedWolf93
Small note

You dont need a London pattern shape to forge. not sure where you are in the 150 member countries that call IF home, so I wont bother listing places near  me  that you can get them, but I call your attention to the thread on improvised anvils here

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Note that casting of metals is NOT blacksmithing, it is foundry work, have you visited alloyavenue.com a set of forums dedicated to foundry work? (used to be called backyardmetalcasting.com)

Had no clue about them greatly appreciate that and will check that forum here shortly thanks greatly.

I'll agree with reading over the improvised anvil thread for ideas to get you started.

If you really Want to make a stump anvil, I have made two using tortion bar and larger hammer heads. It is Heavy forging by hand tho, and or a lot of grinding. 

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

In general, casting a steel anvil horn will be more expensive than buying an anvil new!  Look over the improvised anvil thread; lots of great, cheap, ways to do it!

So what metal did you intend to cast?

Well steel is kinda easy to get my hands on i work in a steel stair and rail company and am allowed to ask for steel scrap as far as i know its all structual steel... i forget the steel type but ill ask so melting steel for the most part.

Probably A-36; melting is probably the most expensive and dangerous way to go!  Do you have a lot of experience working with molten Brass? (Usually folks start with Al, go to brass and only think about steel after a lot of experience.  Cast iron is special as it can be melted in a cupola,  that makes large amounts fairly easy to produce.)