I Forge Iron

Pacific North West Help

Willem

I'm a young kid (15) looking to get into blacksmithing. The issue is that I lack the instruction to do so, as well as a forge. I'm wondering if there is anyone in South West Washington or the greater Pacific Northwest that would be willing to help me out. I have most of the materials to fabricate a forge using a 20 lb propane bottle following Wayne Coe's instructions (excluding the burner (requires welding) and burner parts), however, I'm severely limited by my tools, lacking both a welder, and a plasma cutter as well as a shop of any sort. If there is any way in which someone would be willing to lend me a hand and help me fabricate a forge (I will of course pay for materials costs as well as time)  that would be greatly appreciated. General advice or apprenticing of any shape is of course more than welcome. I'm happy to pay in cash or barter (my families owns a creamery) for any services that could be provided, whichever is preferable. My apologies if this is in the wrong directory I'm still very new to the forum.

Thanks,

-Will

Welcome aboard Will, glad to have you. The NWBA is a very active club, they're well worth hooking up with.

You don't need a welder to build a forge, A yard sale saber saw and metal blades will cut a propane tank just fine. A hand drill and bits with a pop rivet gun will do the joinery. OR you can use self tapping sheet metal screws. Nuts and bolts even. 

A hack saw will take care of angle iron, etc. for legs, porch shelves, etc.

Welding is fast and easier but it's not a must to build with steel. Honest, would I make things up? :) 

Frosty The Lucky.

The NWBA has monthly demonstrations followed by open forges in Longview. I personally teach youth blacksmithing in Portland. There are couple others now who will teach youth as part of their business. Best thing is join the NWBA and talk to the people there. Take a class preferably though for some hands on instructions.