I Forge Iron

Personal injuries while smithing..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When working with strikers that I am not absolutely sure of; I like using tongs to hold the tools!  And I even have a set of tongs with a broken bit from where a striker hit the tongs and not the head of the chisel.  Now that chisel has it's own holder as it's a popular one: Wrapped and riveted strap stock that is then mounted in a pipe handle.  Chisel was a reworked S-1 pharmaceutical punch which has been working for decades for slitting hot steel.

chiselhandle.jpg.b1bca1e24971f0f5ed46a61519c21a85.jpg

When I act as the striker, I demand short tools be held with tongs or be handled and I very seldom miss the target, but mistakes do happen. Same when working with tools on the power hammer, better safe than sorry.

I would say you are fortunate that is the only injury, an 8 pound hammer could have broken every bone in your hand.

Especially when they hit it at a just the right angle to shoot the hot tool back into you.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, lol. Needless to say it's inevitably during a public demo. And no no non blacksmiths strike for me during demo's. Is that enough no's and negatives in a row, I hope.

I've worked in the past with different types of people.. 

The person whom is afraid to hit you and inevitably does because they are so focused on not hitting you. 

The person who looks at sledging as a profession and takes mastery as the only goal..  Love these guys. 

The person who does it but doesn't really like it. 

I have over the years had maybe 4 really good strikers..  2 of which started young and were fantastic even with a 16lbs hammer. 

the largest issue I have had is snapping handles and near misses with a flying head.  It never fails, they always break in the same spot. 

With this it's a risk that can be worth it, though getting hit in the head or arm or foot with a sledge hammer head is never fun. 

I always teach my striker how I want him or her how to strike. This includes stance, which hand goes where on the handle, hammer signals, and that every strike is a controlled blow. I never allow a massive over the head, wild two handed out of control strike. 

If they don't want to follow my directions, they don't strike for me. 

Never had a problem.