I Forge Iron

Acceptible for an anvil?

I came across this listing: ebay listing removed and I'm not too far from the location so I wouldn't be paying a 100% shipping charge. The question I have is would it be suitable for a starter anvil? I'm sure there's someone here who would be familiar with the stamping and whether it's suitable to flatten some steel. At 8" wide I'm sure it's overkill, and I'm sure I can put a straight edge on there with an angle-grinder and some patience.

Would this be something worthy of pursuit, or better left alone in favor of something more traditional?

Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge!

At $1.21 U.S. per pound it's a little expensive, but it will make an improvised anvil. In your area anvils should be available using the TPAAAT and a little patience. Don't be surprised if the link is removed. Here is the description.

Round Steel Bar For Press Blacksmith Anvil;71 lbs.D 8"x H 5-1/4" 

3 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

8" diameter, 71 lb, 5"1/4" high, 1018 HR steel

Can you tell me how you were able to determine the type of steel it was? I might be blind and missed it in the description, or you have super powers, but being unable to find that was part of the reason I posted here.

40 minutes ago, MaxwellB said:

Can you tell me how you were able to determine the type of steel it was? I might be blind and missed it in the description, or you have super powers, but being unable to find that was part of the reason I posted here.

Ha ha ... as a blacksmith, I do have super powers. 

The seller is way more interested in broadcasting his bias against "foreigners" then he is in selling his bit of steel. The description was in minuscule fonts attached to his draconian conditions.

I understand that price is very subjective but at that price and if able to pick up so no postage, i think it is a cheap thing to have. How many beers can you buy for that money? over here it is not enough for a 6 pack or some decent fish and chips. 

PS

THere is a typo in your title ... it is spelled Accepteble ... :P

(Or at least that is the way Inspector Jacques Clouseau says it) 

Yeah... I'm thinking this guy has a few screws loose when he feels the need to post that in the description. He's also selling this: Ebay link removed I'm curious which would be better. Cheaper isn't always better, and the 11" bar isn't as heavy as the 8" round, but it'll have more mass under the striking area. I'll still need to square off a side, it just won't be as long as the other block would be. Plus since I'm new to all this my hammer control will be non-existent, which is worrisome about the 1018 as everything I'm seeing says it's mild steel and will ding.

Glenn - I saw that link and that's what's making me think that going this sort of route, coupled with sinking the improvised anvil into some of the wood stump I've got around the house, wouldn't be a bad idea. And I'm sure it'll sound better going that route too, since I do have neighbors who might get cranky.