I Forge Iron

Double burner gas forge

Ricky Boyarko

This is the new double burner forge I’m building. I’m done with the forge itself, i just need to put the insulation inside. The inside dia. is 14”x4”x7”. The top is removable so I can replace the fire board when needed. Everything else is welded. I’m gonna put 2” of refractory on the bottom and the walls and roof will have 2” ceramic fiber board. I’ll will keep you posted on how it turns out. If you have any questions or comments please post.

Is this the right place to post forge projects? I’m new to this forum

The first time I saw burners placed high up on a side wall, and blowing flame horizontally across to the opposite wall, it was apparent that this is the way to go; it solves several problems that people get into with box forges. Unfortunately, it is the obvious way to go, and people have a lot of resistance to that :rolleyes:

You may also consider before putting the refractory in splitting and hinging the box along the bottom (check out how Wayne does his propane tank forges). It is only a little extra work, and if you ever need to fit a large work piece in it lets you expand the forge at that seam. 

Well I just pored the refractory for the floor, so I just have to cut the boards for the sides and roof then I’ll be lighting it up! I didn’t get anything to coat the board with because I’m close to budget and I have a ton of that board to replace it if I have to. I have 2 2x3 ft boards of it. 

5DBBE5C1-E7D7-4DF4-8407-4F3F6DCE84E5.jpeg

Don’t worry we didn’t mix it inside we just moved it downstairs to let it dry in the heat.

What kind of refractory are you using that it's a concern for mixing indoors? 

Hanging a light bulb in the forge is a good way to dry the wet stuff. Fans are helpful too but can cause problems because wind shadows are easy to make and will cause uneven drying. 

Frosty The Lucky.