I Forge Iron

wanting to make a knife!!!Please help

jsanders

I've been wanting to make my own knives for quite a while but I have been having trouble getting started. I'm new to all of this so I don't know a whole lot. I've been trying to find some steel in my area (Springfield/Bolivar Mo) but I can't seem to find anyone that has anything. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could get started? I'd really like to get this thing rolling. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

You'll need to give us some more info, what method are you looking to do, stock removal or forging, do you have any tooling, forge, anvil, grinder, etc? What kind and how much experience do you have working with metal.
These are things we would need to know to help get you going in the right direction also there is tons of info on here, you could spend days reading this site which is a good idea, there are also lots of good books on the subject as well as schools depending on how serious you want to get.

welder19

Hi there Jon. Welcome to the addicting world of metalmangling!

Probably your best start is to look at the lessons here. Start with lesson 2: safety. Once you've read all the other lessons, read it again.

What aspect of knifemaking are you interested in? There are basiclaly 2 approaches: forging and stock removal. Forging involves fire, hammers, an anvil and sweat. Stock removal is basically taking a piece of metal and grinding away everything that is not knife.

Steel can be had from many sources. If you're willing to go down the scrap route, springs, files and the like are classic sources. Try your local mechanic, scrapyard, junkshop etc. You can buy a wide variety of steels from online retailers, like Speedy Metals, Admiral Steel etc.

I guess a little more info would have been helpful. I'm interested in both forging and stock removal. Right now though I want to use the stock removal method. I don't have any experience doing this kind of thing so I'm pretty clueless. My main thing is I can't figure out what type of metal to use or where to get it. I'm wanting something that will keep a pretty good edge on it and be durable.

Put the actual work on hold long enough to get a bit of knowledge that will in the long run speed things up. Libraries can usually either carry or can borrow books on this subject. One book is called the $50 knife shop. The Complete Bladesmith by Jim Hrousilas is about the best. Then there is a period that you will know what you wish to do and a bit about how to get it done. That does not mean that your results will come out like the pics in the books. A session with a bladesmith or even better a blacksmith will be well worth your while. Invest in your knowledge throughout your life and you will have a lot greater success.

As a getting started book for stock removal "Step by Step Knifemaking" will help a lot---especially on how to find metal!

Go to your local library and ask about ILL, Inter Library Loan, even in the boonies of New Mexico I can borrow research books costing hundreds of dollars for a US$1 fee! (I've used ILL in AR and OH too!).

Most of my "found metal" for blademaking came from fleamarkets; you should be in a pretty good area for them too. Large bandsaw blades from lumbermills are a good source of getting started steel, and as a high Ni layer for when you get into pattern welding.

BTW The American Bladesmith's Society School is in Southern AR you might want to look into taking a class there; you can save *years* of trying to re-invent the wheel that way!

You might check to see if you can locate Floyd Medlin who either lives in Buffalo or Boliver. It has been a while since I lived in that area but he could help. He forged and did stock removal both. Mc Ginnis down at NIXA should be able to put you on to the his school of knifemaking- forging and stock removal both. Found that MCGinnis is having a two day knifemaking seminar in Sept . phone 417-581-6689 Ozark Knife Makers

Edited by me miller

With many things, just starting is the first obstacle you must overcome. If you want to forge a knife, you need a forge. If you want to do stock removal, you need something to remove the stock, file, grinder, etc. Both methods require knowledge of the tools you are using which can only come your actually using the tools. Follow all the safety precautions and wear proper eye, ear, and personal body protection. If you do not know, or are unsure, then ask someone. Otherwise you can hurt yourself or others through your lack of knowledge.

Start with any type of mild steel (it is cheap) and practice. Then read, talk with others, take classes etc, and put what you have learned into practice. The more time and effort you invest into learning, followed by the more time and effort you invest into practicing the technique, the better the end product will become. This site will be a great resource of both information and answers as you proceed in your quest.

Hi Jon

I'd recomend O1 to start out with. It's pretty common (fastenal carries it in bar stock), cheap, it's easy to work with hand tools, it's easy to harden and temper, and it takes a great edge.
I wouldn't go with found steel yet unless you have the capability to anneal it, and it will be less frustrating if there are less variables in the process

I started around a year and a half ago with a piece of s30v and had a horrible time with it (i've since gone to o1 as my main steel).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions along the way

ryan